jump link

citizen service


You enter your place of residence or the place where you want to contact the administration or use the location sensing.


In the second step, you choose which information you really need.

Source: BUS Sachsen-Anhalt (Linie6PLus)

Federal Volunteer Service Agreement


If you would like to get involved for the common good outside of work and school, you can complete a Federal Volunteer Service.

You can do your federal voluntary service in social, ecological and cultural areas, in the field of sport, integration or in civil protection and disaster control. You can choose the area, location and place of volunteering yourself.

The following key points apply to the Federal Volunteer Service:

  • The standard duration is 12 months, with a minimum of 6 and a maximum of 18 months. In exceptional cases, assignments of up to 24 months are also possible (for example, if there is a special educational concept).
  • If you are older than 27, you can also complete the Federal Volunteer Service on a part-time basis (at least 20 hours per week).
  • You will receive pocket money: The maximum amount is currently EUR 390.00 per month.
  • Your social security contributions and statutory accident insurance are paid by the assignment location.
  • If you complete the 12-month Federal Volunteer Service, you are generally entitled to unemployment benefit.
  • If you are under the age of 25 and are doing Federal Voluntary Service, your parents can receive child benefit or tax-free allowances for you.
  • The basis of the assignment is the conclusion of an individual agreement between you and the Federal Office of Family Affairs and Civil Society Functions (BAFzA).

The first six weeks of the service are considered a trial period. The service can be terminated during this period with two weeks' notice. After the probationary period, the notice period is four weeks to the 15th or the end of the month. In addition, the employment relationship can also be terminated prematurely for good cause - for example, due to the start of vocational training or studies.

During the period of service, the Occupational Health and Safety Act and the Youth Employment Protection Act as well as the provisions of the Federal Leave Act apply. For example, if you serve for twelve months, you are entitled to 24 days' leave.

Work clothing, accommodation and meals can be provided or the costs reimbursed.
In terms of social insurance, the Federal Volunteer Service is treated in the same way as an apprenticeship. Contributions to pension, accident, health, nursing care and unemployment insurance are paid by the assignment location.

Up to 10,000 new BFD places are made available each year as part of the special program "Federal Volunteer Service with a Reference to Refugees". These places must be related to refugee aid. This means that the assignment must be in refugee aid or the service must be performed by refugees.

  • You must have completed compulsory full-time schooling.
  • If you do not have German citizenship, you will need a residence permit that allows you to work in Germany.
  • An occupational health examination is required for some services. Please ask your place of employment about this
  • Identity card or residence permit
  • Proof of occupational health examination, if applicable


Note: Assignment locations and organizations may have set fixed deadlines for applications and starting work.

Average 6 weeks, maximum 3 months

Forms: Agreement on the performance of federal voluntary service
Online procedure possible: no
Written form required: yes
Personal appearance required: yes

If you would like to take up a Federal Volunteer Service (BFD), you must first look for a placement:

  • You can find volunteer positions via the volunteer exchange of the Federal Volunteer Service. However, you can also enquire directly at institutions and projects. The only important thing is that the place of assignment is recognized for the Federal Volunteer Service. If this institution is not yet recognized as an assignment location for the Federal Volunteer Service, it can apply for recognition.
  • You agree the specific content of your BFD contract with the assignment location and fill out the agreement for the Federal Volunteer Service. The agreement, with the signatures of the parties involved, will be forwarded by the place of assignment.
  • You will then receive a letter of confirmation with the agreement from the Federal Office of Family Affairs and Civil Society Functions

Federal Ministry for Family Affairs, Senior Citizens, Women and Youth

The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

No authority found