jump link

citizen service


You enter your place of residence or the place where you want to contact the administration or use the location sensing.


In the second step, you choose which information you really need.

Source: BUS Sachsen-Anhalt (Linie6PLus)

Apply for admission as a late emigrant


If you are a late emigrant and would like to relocate to Germany, you and your relatives will go through a reception procedure beforehand.

If you are of German descent and live in a state of the former Eastern Bloc or the successor states of the former Soviet Union, you can move permanently to Germany. But before you leave for Germany, you have to go through a admission procedure for late emigrants.

In this procedure, the Federal Administration Office checks whether you meet the legal requirements for relocating to Germany. If you receive a admission notice, you may enter the Federal Republic of Germany. With the recognition as a late emigrant you get German citizenship.

Your family members can also move to Germany together with you on request. You can include your spouse and children in your admission notice if:

  • you expressly request that:
  • marriage to the non-German spouse has existed for at least three years, and
  • Your wife or husband has a basic knowledge of the German language.

If you want to include children, grandchildren or great-grandchildren who are already of legal age, they must also demonstrate basic knowledge of the German language. You can also include your spouse in the admission notice.

You have to organise and pay for your departure (e.g. by train, bus or plane). After arriving in the Federal Republic of Germany, you and your family members will first come to the Friedland branch of the Federal Administration Office. There you are registered and assigned to a state.

Afterwards, guests can take part in an integration course free of charge.

Please submit your application for admission under the Federal Persons of Persons act in writing:

  • Download and print the form online.
  • Alternatively, you can request the form in writing from the Federal Administration Office.
  • Fill in the form and add the necessary evidence.
  • Submit the application documents to the Federal Administration Office.
  • By post, you will receive the respective processing status and the decision of the Federal Administration Office without being requested.

If your application is approved:

  • Register orally with the Federal Administration Office. You will receive proof of this.
  • Your identity will be verified by the application details.
  • This initiates the certification procedure.
  • They are allocated to a land, taking into account family ties, employment, employment and training opportunities.
  • On request, you can make a name statement during the distribution procedure (for example, adapting the first and surname to the German language usage.

If your application has been rejected:

  • You can object to this. You must do this in writing by post within one month.
  • If you do not agree with a decision of the Federal Administration Office, you have the opportunity to appeal or to bring an action.


  • They come from a state of the former Soviet Union and are a person of German nationality:
    • You have at least one parent with German nationality or nationality.
    • They have declared themselves to the German people until they leave the resettlement areas by means of a corresponding declaration of nationality or by other means.
    • You can have a simple conversation on German at the time of the decision of the Federal Administration Office on your application for admission.
  • If you live in countries other than the former Soviet Union (including Estonia, Latvia or Lithuania), you have experienced disadvantages because of your German ethnicity or are subject to the aftermath of previous disadvantages.

Your family members (spouse, children, grandchildren or great-grandchildren):

  • the marriage with the non-German spouse has been in place for at least three years.
  • Your spouse and children of the same age have a basic knowledge of the German language in accordance with level A 1 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages.

Proof of German ethnicity

  • By proof of your German ancestry (presentation of corresponding civil status certificates for example birth certificate, marriage certificate)
  • and a commitment to the German people within the meaning of the Federal Persons of Persons act by means of a corresponding declaration of nationality (e.g. in the domestic passport, in the Wehrpass) or by other means by
  • proof of sufficient German language skills at level B 1 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (e.g. by a certificate or by a language test at a diplomatic mission abroad)
  • Time limit for appeal against a rejection notice: within one month of notification
  • Time limit: within one month of notification of the notice of opposition

The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

Federal Administration Office

No authority found