jump link

citizen service


You enter your place of residence or the place where you want to contact the administration or use the location sensing.


In the second step, you choose which information you really need.

Source: BUS Sachsen-Anhalt (Linie6PLus)

Applying for a child-raising pension


The child-raising pension supports you as a single parent if your divorced spouse or partner dies. The pension thus serves as a maintenance substitute and allows more attention to be paid to the upbringing of the children.

The child-raising pension is a pension from your own pension account. The amount corresponds to your pension as you would receive it if you were fully incapacitated. Your annual pension information will state the amount used as a basis. If your child-raising pension begins before the relevant age limit, you must accept deductions. For each month you retire earlier, the deduction is 0.3 percent, but no more than 10.8 percent in total.

If you receive the child-raising pension, you can have additional income (additional earnings). However, it may be that your income will be credited if you exceed an allowance. The amount of this allowance is calculated individually.

You can also receive the child-raising pension if your marriage or registered civil partnership still existed at the time of death and you as a couple had decided to divide your pension entitlements in so-called pension splitting.

You cannot receive a child-raising pension if you receive another, higher pension from the statutory pension insurance at the same time.

The child-raising pension ends at the end of the month in which the conditions cease to apply, for example if you remarry or if your child reaches the age of 18 and the child-rearing thus ends, but at the latest when you reach the standard retirement age.

You can submit your application online, in person or in writing.

Online application:

  • On the website of the German Pension Insurance (DRV) under "Online Services" you will find detailed information on the process.
  • If you follow the link "Submit application", you will be guided through the further steps and can select the desired application.
  • Alternatively, you can use the online services with registration. For example, you can immediately see which insurance periods have already been recorded. In addition, you save time and do not have to re-enter already known data.
  • Complete the application form completely and upload the required documents.
  • Submit your application online.
  • You will receive a confirmation of delivery.
  • The competent pension insurance institution will examine your application.
  • You will receive a notification of your application.

Personal application:

  • Compile the necessary documents for your application and make an appointment with the DRV.
  • When making an appointment online, your personal data and, if possible, your insurance number are required.
  • You can select a desired counselling centre and your desired date. Depending on the availability of free dates, you will receive a proposal for a binding consultation appointment.
  • In your personal interview, your application will be recorded electronically and forwarded online to the responsible pension insurance provider.
  • The competent pension insurance institution will examine your application.
  • You will receive a notification of your application.

Written request:

  • Go to the DRV website.
  • Download the desired application form.
  • You can also pick up the form in person at the information and advice centres.
  • Fill in the application form, sign it and attach the required documents.
  • Send all documents
    • by post to your pension insurance institution or
    • hand them in at one of the local counselling centres.
  • The competent pension insurance institution will examine your application.
  • You will receive a notification of your application.

Your pension application can also be submitted for you by a person you trust. Please submit a power of attorney to the pension insurance. As long as the power of attorney is valid, the pension insurance applies exclusively to the person authorized by you.

If you give your consent to electronic communication, all correspondence may take place online. Either you use the electronic mailbox under the online services with registration or De-Mail.

  • Your marriage or civil partnership was dissolved, annulled or annulled after 30.06.1977 or if the marriage was dissolved before 01.07.1977, the maintenance claim was based on GDR law.
  • Your divorced marriage or partner or your divorced marriage or partner has died.
  • You are raising your own or a child of the previous marriage or life partner (including stepchild and foster child, grandson or sibling) who is not yet 18 years old or
  • You are raising a disabled child of your own or a child of the previous marriage or partner (regardless of the age of the child).
  • You have not remarried and have not registered a new civil partnership.
  • You were covered by pension insurance for at least 5 years until the death of your divorced spouse or partner (general qualifying period).
  • You have not yet reached the standard retirement age.
  • In the case of marriage or civil partnership still existing at the time of death: You have previously carried out pension splitting.

The general waiting period of 5 years includes:

  • contribution periods (compulsory and voluntary contributions),
  • replacement times,
  • child-rearing periods,
  • periods of pension equalisation and pension splitting between spouses,
  • periods of marginal employment with contributions paid by the employer, and
  • Supplements to earnings points for earnings from marginal employment exempt from compulsory insurance.
  • Application for survivor's pension
  • Identity document (e.g. identity card, passport, birth certificate or family register)
  • Death certificate of the partner
  • Marriage certificate or civil partnership certificate
  • Proof of dissolution of marriage or registered partnership
  • Information about your income
  • Last pension adjustment notification of the deceased or deceased or other pension documents

There are no costs.

Your pension starts on the 1st of the calendar month at the beginning of which you meet the conditions if you submit the application within 3 calendar months.

If the application is submitted later, the pension will be paid to you from the calendar month in which the pension is claimed.

Processing usually takes up to 4 months.

Forms available: Yes

Written form required: Yes

Informal application possible: No

Personal appearance required: No

Online services available: Yes

The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

Federal Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs (BMAS)

No authority found