jump link

citizen service


You enter your place of residence or the place where you want to contact the administration or use the location sensing.


In the second step, you choose which information you really need.

Source: BUS Sachsen-Anhalt (Linie6PLus)

Apply for voluntary continued insurance in unemployment insurance


Under certain conditions, you can apply for compulsory unemployment insurance so that you can receive unemployment benefit if you become unemployed at a later date. You are entitled to insurance if you

  • work independently for at least 15 hours a week, or
  • are employed abroad outside the EU, the EEA or outside Switzerland for at least 15 hours per week, or
  • raise a child over 3 years of age on parental leave, or
  • continue their professional education and thereby
    • can advance professionally or
    • get a professional qualification or
    • be able to carry out another professional activity.

The monthly contribution is currently (2022) at

  • EUR 78.96 (West) and EUR 75.60 (East) for the self-employed
    • In the first year of your self-employment and in the following calendar year, you pay only half of the contribution.
  • EUR 78.96 for foreign employees
  • EUR 39.48 (West) and EUR 37.80 (East) for persons on parental leave and for persons undergoing continuing vocational training.

You pay the monthly contribution of the insurance alone and directly to the Federal Employment Agency.

If you are employed abroad, there must be no posting. You may therefore not temporarily work in a foreign company on behalf of your German employer. Otherwise, you would continue to be subject to German social security regulations, a voluntary continued insurance in the unemployment insurance would not be possible.

If, in addition to your work, you are employed in another European country, the local social security law applies. Compulsory application insurance under German law is then not possible.

Note: If you end your self-employment or foreign employment and take advantage of the compulsory application insurance, you must demonstrably make an effort to find work again as soon as possible.

You can apply for compulsory insurance on application for unemployment insurance in writing to the Employment Agency:

  • Download the form online from the website of the Employment Agency and print it out or have the form handed out to you on site at the Employment Agency.
  • Fill in the form and add the necessary evidence.
  • Submit the application documents to the Employment Agency. Submit the fully completed application documents as personally as possible.
  • The decision on your application will be communicated to you in writing by post. Your compulsory insurance relationship on application begins on the day on which the requirements are first met, if necessary also retroactively.
  • You have been compulsorily insured in social security for at least 12 months within the last 30 months before taking up work/employment abroad or the start of parental leave/continuing vocational training, for example as an employee or trainee, or
  • Immediately before taking up work/employment abroad or the start of parental leave/continuing vocational training, you were entitled to a compensation benefit under the Third Social Code, for example unemployment benefit, but not unemployment benefit II/Hartz IV and
  • They are neither subject to compulsory insurance nor exempt from unemployment insurance.
  • The compulsory insurance relationship is excluded if you as a self-employed person were already subject to compulsory insurance, interrupted your self-employed activity twice and claimed unemployment benefit during the interruption periods.


  • Identity card or passport with confirmation of registration or replacement document or copies of the documents
  • Certificate that you were compulsorily insured in social security for at least 12 months within the last 30 months before taking up work/employment abroad or the start of parental leave/further vocational training (e.g. employment certificate from your employer)


  • In the case of self-employment:
    • Business registration or
    • Clear, credible explanation of your freelance work, including appropriate evidence
  • For employment abroad: Employment contract
  • In the case of parental leave: "Additional sheet periods of child-rearing" and notification of parental allowance or childcare allowance
  • In the case of continuing vocational training: proof of the training institution

Forms available: Yes
Written form required: No
Informal application possible: Yes
Personal appearance necessary: No
Online services available: No

The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

Federal Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs (BMAS)

No authority found