jump link

citizen service


You enter your place of residence or the place where you want to contact the administration or use the location sensing.


In the second step, you choose which information you really need.

Source: BUS Sachsen-Anhalt (Linie6PLus)

Apply for a certificate assessment for a foreign university qualification


A certificate assessment is an official document of the Central Office for Foreign Education (ZAB), which describes a foreign university qualification and certifies its professional and academic uses.

A ZAB certificate assessment is intended to facilitate your access to the German labour market with a foreign university qualification.

The certificate assessment indicates the level of the German educational qualification with which your foreign degree is comparable and also provides information on possibilities for continuing your studies, on the legal bases for leading the degree and on the procedures for professional recognition. No legal claims can be derived from the assessment of the certificate.

The certificate evaluation is issued in a short version and in a long version, which you will receive together. The short version is intended as a supplement to your application documents and is intended to inform the employer or the employment agency at a glance which German qualification your foreign university degree corresponds to. You can use the long version whenever more extensive information is required.

Attention: The certificate evaluation is not a recognition, but a comparative classification. 

Binding recognition is particularly necessary if you

  • have a place of residence in Germany and
  • wish to pursue a regulated profession.

Apply for the assessment using the form of the Central Office for Foreign Education (ZAB) and it will be sent to you by e-mail after you have completed and submitted a web form online.

Since the further procedure can vary depending on your country of origin, you can inform yourself in advance on the pages of the Central Office for Foreign Education.

You will receive the certificate evaluation, which you can attach to your application documents, as a short version and as a long version, after 

  • your application has been received by the competent authority in full,
  • all necessary documents are available there and
  • You have paid the fees.

Please contact the Central Office for Foreign Education (ZAB).

Your university degree must meet the following requirements in order to be assessed:

  • The diplomas must be officially certified.
  • The degree must have been obtained at an institution that is recognised as a higher education institution according to the relevant criteria of the country of origin.
  • In the case of degrees within the framework of cross-border cooperation or with the participation of several universities (so-called franchising), all participating institutions must be duly recognised or accredited as a university in accordance with the law of the country of origin. The quality of the degree must meet the requirements of all countries involved in the cooperation and be compatible with the higher education regulations of these countries.
  • For degrees from countries where accreditation of degree programs is required, the completed degree program must be accredited.

The list of the required documents can be found on the ZAB website. The submission of the required documents depends on the country in which you obtained your university degree.

  • For the issuance of the certificate: EUR 200,00
  • For the issuance of each additional certificate for several qualifications: EUR 100.00
  • For the re-issuance of a certificate (e.B. in case of loss): EUR 100.00

The Länder of the Federal Republic of Germany have entrusted ZAB with this task. The ZAB issues certificate evaluations for university degrees from all countries of the world.

You can submit the application online.

As a student applicant with a foreign university entrance qualification , you usually send your application directly to the university at which you want to study.

A certificate assessment by the Central Office for Foreign Education is not required in this case.

For the recognition of foreign university degrees and professional qualifications, you must submit an application. Binding recognition is particularly necessary if you

•           have a place of residence in Germany and

•           wish to pursue a regulated profession.

The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

No authority found