jump link

citizen service


You enter your place of residence or the place where you want to contact the administration or use the location sensing.


In the second step, you choose which information you really need.

Source: BUS Sachsen-Anhalt (Linie6PLus)

Applying for benefits for refugees under the Victim Compensation Act


If you suffer damage to your health in Germany as a result of an intentional, unlawful assault, for example bodily injury, you can receive benefits with regard to this damage to your health upon request.

Eligible are services for

  • Medical and medical treatment,
  • welfare benefits
  • Pension and
  • other cash benefits.

These benefits are based on the degree of consequences of your health damage (degree of damage consequences) and on your needs.

Financial losses or non-material damages will not be compensated. This also applies to self-inflicted damage (e.g. if you have started a brawl.

You may be denied benefits if you, as an injured person, do not contribute to the clarification, for example if you do not file a complaint.

In the case of foreigners, the scope of benefits depends on the length of their legal residence. The residence is also considered lawful if your deportation is suspended ("toleration"). Persons who are staying illegally in Germany, on the other hand, have no claim.

They submit an application to the competent authority for compensation for victims of acts of violence. The competent authority shall inform you of any documents to be submitted. It will examine your case and inform you if and what help you will receive.

  • You are the victim of a deliberate unlawful assault in Germany or the surviving dependents of a person killed as a result
  • You can prove the assault
  • Your damage to health is due to this attack
  • the health consequences of this damage continue
  • Written request
  • if available: proof of the act of violence (e.g. copy of police protocol / criminal complaint), proof of damage to health (medical report)


You should submit an application as soon as possible in order to simplify the investigation after the fact.

Please address the application directly to the local competent authority. A list can also be found under the mentioned link.

The Victim Compensation Act only covers damage caused by acts of violence in Germany. Damage to your health that you have suffered as a result of experiences in other countries is not covered.

The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

Federal Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs (BMAS)

No authority found