jump link

citizen service


You enter your place of residence or the place where you want to contact the administration or use the location sensing.


In the second step, you choose which information you really need.

Source: BUS Sachsen-Anhalt (Linie6PLus)

Apply for equivalence of craft occupations with professional qualifications from abroad


There are about 200 different professions in the craft sector in Germany.

For 41 occupations in the craft sector, you absolutely need a certain professional qualification. These are the "trades subject to authorisation". Only with the necessary professional qualifications can you work permanently independently in these professions. These 41 regulated professions are subject to further regulations.

All other professions in the craft sector are not regulated. This means that if you want to work independently in these professions on a permanent basis, you do not need a specific professional qualification.
You do not have to have your foreign professional qualification recognised. However, you have the right to a recognition procedure. The procedure is called 'equivalence determination'. A finding of equivalence brings you advantages:

  • At the end of the procedure, you will receive a notice of equivalence. The decision is proof of your professional qualification.
  • The decision is an official and legally secure document. You and your employers can rely on the content.
  • The decision increases your chances on the labour market. Employers can better assess your professional qualifications with the decision.

The competent bodies for the determination of equivalence in the craft sector are the regional chambers of crafts or the chambers of commerce and industry.
The competent authorities will advise you before submitting an application and identify the right profession in the craft sector for you.

  • You can have your foreign professional qualification in the craft sector officially recognised.
  • For some professions of the trade, you have to have your professional qualifications recognised.
  • Recognition always improves your chances on the German labour market.
  • They shall submit a written "application for equivalence" with the necessary documents to the competent authority.
  • For professional qualifications from EU/EEA/Switzerland: You can submit the application and documents directly to the competent authority or to the Single Contact Point. You can also submit the application electronically via the Single Contact Point.
  • The competent body then compares your professional qualification from abroad with the German professional qualification and checks the equivalence. If your professional qualification is equivalent, it will be recognised. You will receive the notice of equivalence (recognition notice) by post.
  • If your professional qualification is not equivalent, it will not be recognised. You will be informed about the differences in your foreign professional qualification. With this decision, you can further qualify and later submit a new application for equivalence.
  • You can take legal action against the decision of the competent authority. The decision will then be reviewed. We recommend that you speak to the appropriate body before taking legal action against the decision.

Please contact the Chamber of Crafts of Saxony-Anhalt.

  • They have formal training in the craft sector from abroad.
  • You want to work in Germany in this profession.

The competent authority will inform you which documents you need to submit. Important documents are generally:

  • Proof of identity (passport or identity card)
  • List in table form with your trainings and your professional practice (curriculum vitae)
  • Proof of training
  • Certificate of the nature and duration of relevant professional practice
  • a statement that you have not yet applied for equivalence
  • possibly proof that you want to work in Germany

The competent authority will inform you which documents you must submit in the original or as a certified copy.
Your documents must be presented in German. The translations must be made by publicly appointed or authorised translators.

The procedure costs money. The competent authority will inform you of the costs. The costs generally depend on the processing effort.

Additional costs may apply (e.B. for translations or certifications of your documents). These costs vary individually.

Sometimes documents are still missing from the procedure. The competent authority will then inform you by when you will have to submit the documents.

  • Forms: Forms are available from the appropriate body.
  • Online procedure possible: Via the Single Contact
  • Font form requirement: possibly
  • Personal appearance necessary: no

Online procedure at the Single Contact Point
  • Qualification analysis
    You have completed formal training, but cannot you present all the necessary documents? Then you may be allowed to go through a qualification analysis. This means that you can prove your professional skills in practice. The relevant authorities will inform you.
  • Procedures for late emigrants
    As a late emigrant, you can go through the recognition procedure either according to the laws mentioned here in accordance with the laws mentioned here or under the Federal Persons of Displaced Persons Act. You can decide for yourself.

The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

Federal Institute for Vocational Education and Training

Federal Ministry of Economics and Energy

No authority found