jump link

citizen service


You enter your place of residence or the place where you want to contact the administration or use the location sensing.


In the second step, you choose which information you really need.

Source: BUS Sachsen-Anhalt (Linie6PLus)

Authorisation to use the professional title Granting of health and paediatric nurses or health and paediatric nurses from third countries


The activity as a health and paediatric nurse or health and paediatric nurse is regulated in Germany. This means that in order for you to be able to work in Germany as a health and paediatric nurse, you need a state permit. With this permission, you may use the professional title "Health and Pediatric Nurse" or "Health and Pediatric Nurse" and work in the profession.

Even with a professional qualification from a so-called third country, you can obtain state permission from the competent authority (an authority) in Germany. Third countries are all states that do not belong to the European Union (EU), the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland.

In order to obtain the permit, you must have your foreign professional qualification recognised.

In the recognition procedure, the competent authority compares your professional qualification from abroad with the German professional qualification and checks the equivalence. The equivalence of the professional qualification is an important prerequisite for the granting of the state permit.

In addition to the equivalence of the professional qualification, you must also meet other requirements for the granting of the permit. Further requirements are, for example, sufficient German language skills and health suitability.

If your professional qualification comes from the EU, EEA or Switzerland, different regulations apply.

You can also apply for the procedure from abroad.

  • You have a professional qualification as a health and paediatric nurse or health and paediatric nurse from a third country.
  • They are suitable for health. (This means that you can work mentally and physically as a health and pediatric nurse.)
  • They are reliable for working as a health and pediatric nurse or health and pediatric nurse and have no criminal record.
  • You have the necessary knowledge of German for your job. This is usually the B2 language level according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages.

The competent authority will tell you which documents you need to submit. Important documents are generally:

  • Proof of identity (identity card or passport)
  • German-language CV in tabular form with your training and professional activities
  • officially certified copy of your proof of formal qualifications
  • Proof of your relevant professional experience as a health and paediatric nurse
  • Evidence of further relevant knowledge for working as a health and paediatric nurse
  • Extract from criminal records or certificate of good conduct from your country of origin as proof of your reliability (This proof may not be more than 3 months old when the application is submitted.)
  • Medical certificate of your health (The proof can be from an authority from your training state. This certificate may not be more than 3 months old when the application is submitted.)
  • Registration certificate or declaration that you want to work where you submit the application.

The competent authority will inform you which documents you must submit in the original or as a copy.

If your documents are not available in German, you must submit German translations of your documents. Translations must be carried out by translators who have been publicly appointed or authorised.

The procedure costs money. The competent authority will inform you about the costs. The costs generally depend on the effort required for processing.

In addition, additional costs may arise (e.g. for translations, certifications or compensatory measures). These costs vary from person to person.


Sometimes documents are still missing in the procedure. The competent authority will then inform you by when you have to submit the documents.

§§ 1 Abs. 1, 40, 43, 58 Abs. 1 PflBG

§ 43 ff. PflAPrV

§ 66a Abs. 1 PflBG in conjunction with §§ 1 Abs. 1 Nr. 2, 2 Abs. 3 KrPflG

§ 20b, 20c KrPflAPrV

§ 10 Federal Displaced Persons Act

  • Equivalence notice
    In the permit procedure, the examination of equivalence (recognition procedure) is also carried out. You can request a separate decision for the result of the examination.
  • Electronic application
    You can also submit your application electronically.
  • Procedure for ethnic German repatriates
    As a ethnic German repatriate, you can either go through the recognition procedure according to the law mentioned here or according to the Federal Displaced Persons Act. You can decide for yourself. Your competent authority will advise you on this.

The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

Federal Institute for Vocational Education and Training

(forwarded to the Federal Ministry of Health for release)

No authority found