jump link

citizen service


You enter your place of residence or the place where you want to contact the administration or use the location sensing.


In the second step, you choose which information you really need.

Source: BUS Sachsen-Anhalt (Linie6PLus)

Apply for approval for pharmacists from EU/EEA/Switzerland


In order to work as a pharmacist in Germany, you need the approval. The approval is the state admission to the profession. Approval is necessary because the profession is regulated in Germany. This means that you cannot work independently as a pharmacist without approval.

You can also obtain a certificate in Germany with a professional qualification from a country of the European Union (EU), the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland.

The approval is granted to you by the competent authority if your training as a pharmacist is equivalent to the German training. Equivalence is reviewed in the recognition procedure. You have to meet other requirements for granting the approval. For example.B, you must have the necessary language skills.

A professional qualification from the EU, the EEA and Switzerland is usually automatically recognised when you apply for an application for an application. However, there may also be deviations from this rule. It depends on the state in which they have completed their training and at what time. If you have started your vocational training after the EU/EEA accession of your training country, your professional qualification will be automatically recognised. Then the recognition procedure is shortened.

If your professional qualification is not from the EU, the EEA or Switzerland, different rules apply.

You can also apply for the procedure from abroad.

You have obtained a vocational qualification as an apotherker in another EU country and would like to work in Germany? Then you have to apply for the aprrobation.

Contact the National Health Examination Office.

  • You have a professional qualification as a pharmacist from the EU, the EEA or Switzerland.
  • They are suitable for health work as a pharmacist or pharmacist.
  • They are reliable and worthy of work as pharmacists and have no criminal record.
  • You have the necessary knowledge of German for the job. These are general language skills at level B2 according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages and Medical Language Skills at level C1.

The competent authority shall inform you which documents you need to submit. Important documents are generally:

  • Proof of identity (identity card or passport in officially certified copy)
  • German-language CV in table form with your trainings and professional activities
  • officially certified copy of your certificate of education
  • Proof of the content of your training:
    List of study subjects and training hours you have completed
  • Proof of your relevant professional practice as a pharmacist
  • Criminal record extract or certificate of leadership from your country of origin as proof of your worthiness and reliability (this proof may be no more than 3 months old at the time of application.)
  • Medical certificate of your health suitability (This certificate may not be more than 3 months old at the time of application. Proof may be from an authority in your training state.)
  • Declaration that you have not yet applied for approval in Germany

The competent authority will inform you which documents you need to submit in the original or as a copy.

If your documents are not available in German, you must submit German translations of your documents. The translations must be made by translators who are publicly appointed or authorised.

The procedure costs money. The competent authority will inform you of the costs. The costs generally depend on the processing effort.

In addition, additional costs may arise (e.B. for translations or certifications). These costs vary individually.


Sometimes documents are still missing from the procedure. The competent authority will then inform you by when you will have to submit the documents. This may prolong the procedure.

Section 2 et seq. Federal Pharmacist Sputea Regulations

Section 20 et seq. Approval Regulations for Pharmacists

Section 10 Federal Persons of Displaced Persons Act

  • Proof of language skills
    A prerequisite for approval is general German language skills at level B2. You can also submit the required proof of language during the approval process. In addition, you must take a medical language test at C1 level during the approval procedure.
  • Professional permit
    In exceptional cases, you can also apply for a temporary professional permit. With your professional license, you can work for a maximum of 2 years as a pharmacist without approval. To do so, you must demonstrate language skills at B2 level and take a specialist language test at C1 level. You may not be allowed to work to a limited extent. The professional licence is not an approval. With a professional qualification from the EU, the EEA or Switzerland, you cannot normally obtain a professional licence.
  • Freedom to provide services
    If you only want to work temporarily and occasionally independently as a service provider or service provider in Germany, you do not need an approval. However, special conditions will apply. You must report your work to the competent body before the first activity. The competent authority will inform you exactly about the procedure.
  • European Professional Card
    You can apply for a European Professional Card (EPC) from the European Commission's Authentication Service (ECAS). The European Professional Card is an electronic certificate which makes the recognition procedure easier. You must still apply for the approval.
  • Equivalence decision
    In the approval procedure, the equivalence of your training (recognition procedure) is examined. You can request a separate decision for the outcome of the audit.
  • Electronic application
    You can also submit your application electronically. The application may be submitted directly to the competent authority. You can also submit the application to the Single Contact. The Single Contact Person will help you and forward the application to the competent body that will carry out the recognition procedure.
  • Procedures for late emigrants
    As a late emigrant, you can go through the recognition procedure either according to the law mentioned here or under the Federal Persons of Displaced Persons Act. You can decide for yourself. Your competent body will advise you on this.

The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

Federal Institute for Vocational Education and Training

(forwarded to the Federal Ministry of Health for approval)

No authority found