jump link

citizen service


You enter your place of residence or the place where you want to contact the administration or use the location sensing.


In the second step, you choose which information you really need.

Source: BUS Sachsen-Anhalt (Linie6PLus)

Apply for approval for pharmacists from third countries


In order to work as a pharmacist in Germany, you need the approval. The approval is the state admission to the profession. Approval is necessary because the profession is regulated in Germany. This means that you cannot work independently as a pharmacist without approval.

Even with a professional qualification from a so-called third country, you can obtain the approval in Germany. Third countries are all countries that do not belong to the European Union (EU), the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland.

The approval is granted to you by the competent authority if your training as a pharmacist is equivalent to the German training. Equivalence is reviewed in the recognition procedure. You have to meet other requirements for granting the approval. For example.B, you must have the necessary language skills.

If your professional qualification comes from the EU, the EEA or Switzerland, different rules apply.

You can also apply for the procedure from abroad.

  • You have a professional qualification as a pharmacist or pharmacist from a third country.
  • They are suitable for health work as a pharmacist or pharmacist.
  • They are reliable and worthy of work as pharmacists and have no criminal record.
  • You have the necessary knowledge of German for the job. These are general language skills at level B2 according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages and Medical Language Skills at level C1.

The competent authority shall inform you which documents you need to submit. Important documents are generally:

  • Proof of identity (identity card or passport in officially certified copy)
  • German-language CV in table form with your trainings and professional activities
  • officially certified copy of your certificate of education
  • Proof of the content of your training:
    List of study subjects and training hours you have completed
  • Certificate that you can work as a pharmacist in your training country
  • Proof of your relevant professional practice as a pharmacist
  • Criminal record extract or certificate of leadership from your country of origin as proof of your worthiness and reliability (this proof may be no more than 3 months old at the time of application.)
  • Medical certificate of your health suitability (The proof can be from an authority from your training state. This certificate may not be more than 3 months old at the time of application.)
  • Declaration that you have not yet applied for approval in Germany
  • Registration certificate or declaration that you want to work where you apply

The competent authority will inform you which documents you need to submit in the original or as a copy.

If your documents are not available in German, you must submit German translations of your documents. The translations must be made by translators who are publicly appointed or authorised.

The procedure costs money. The competent authority will inform you of the costs. The costs generally depend on the processing effort.

In addition, additional costs may arise (e.B. for translations or certifications). These costs vary individually.


Sometimes documents are still missing from the procedure. The competent authority will then inform you by when you will have to submit the documents. This may prolong the procedure.

  • Proof of language skills
    A prerequisite for approval is general German language skills at level B2. You can also submit the required proof of language during the approval process. In addition, you must take a medical language test at C1 level during the approval procedure.
  • Professional permit
    Before taking the knowledge test, you can apply for a temporary professional permit. With a professional permit, you may (under the supervision of a pharmacist with approval) also work without approval. To do so, you must demonstrate language skills at B2 level and take a specialist language test at C1 level. The professional permit is usually valid for 2 years. Your competent authority will inform you.
  • Equivalence decision
    In the approval procedure, the equivalence of your training (recognition procedure) is examined. You can request a separate decision for the outcome of the audit.
  • Electronic application
    You can also submit your application electronically.
  • Procedures for late emigrants
    As a late emigrant, you can go through the recognition procedure either according to the law mentioned here or under the Federal Persons of Displaced Persons Act. You can decide for yourself. Your competent body will advise you on this.

The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

Federal Institute for Vocational Education and Training

(forwarded to the Federal Ministry of Health for approval)

No authority found