jump link

citizen service


You enter your place of residence or the place where you want to contact the administration or use the location sensing.


In the second step, you choose which information you really need.

Source: BUS Sachsen-Anhalt (Linie6PLus)

Applying for a residence permit for the purpose of school-based vocational training


You can obtain a residence permit for the purpose of school-based vocational training if your training leads to a state-recognized vocational qualification and the training course at your educational institution is not exclusively aimed at nationals of one country.

The residence permit can be issued both for qualified vocational training and for vocational training that is not qualified.

Qualified vocational training exists if it is vocational training in a state-recognized or comparably regulated training occupation for which a training period of at least two years is specified under federal or state law. If these requirements are not met, it is not considered qualified vocational training.

  • You have a recognized and valid passport or passport substitute and - if this was required for entry - an appropriate visa.
  • There is no interest in deporting you.
  • Your stay does not jeopardize or impair the interests of the Federal Republic of Germany.
  • You have a school-based training place in Germany.
  • The school-based vocational training leads to a state-recognized vocational qualification in accordance with federal or state regulations.
  • The course is not aimed exclusively at nationals of one country.
  • Your livelihood is secured.
  • If you have qualified vocational training, you can provide proof of the required language skills (generally sufficient language skills at level B1). You can submit suitable language certificates as proof. Alternatively, the training company can also confirm that your language skills are sufficient for the qualified vocational training you are seeking. If you do not yet have the required language skills, you can attend a job-related German language course to prepare for the training. In principle, there are no language proficiency requirements for taking up vocational training that is not qualified vocational training. As a rule, however, at least sufficient German language skills at level A2 will be required.
  • If you have not reached the age of 18, the persons entitled to take care of you must agree to your stay in Germany.
  • Valid passport
  • Current biometric photo
  • Visa, if this was required for entry
  • Proof of a school-based training place in Germany (e.g. training contract)
  • For qualified vocational training: Proof of sufficient language skills (B1), if the educational institution has not already tested your language skills or no preparatory German course is being taken.
  • Proof of means of subsistence and health insurance (proof of means of subsistence can be provided, for example, by opening a blocked account or submitting a declaration of commitment)
  • Consent of the person authorized to take care of the person if they have not yet reached the age of 18.

EUR 100.00

Fees are charged for the issuance of the residence permit. The time and form of payment vary depending on the authority. Under certain conditions, a fee reduction or fee exemption may be possible.

  • The residence permit should be applied forat least eight weeks before your valid visa or other residence titleexpires.
  • The residence permit is issued for a limited period. Its validity depends on the duration of your school-based vocational training.

about six to eight weeks

  • Depending on the foreigners authority and your request, it may be possible to apply online. Find out whether your foreigners authority offers electronic application for a residence permit.
  • If you can only apply in person, make an appointment with the immigration office. During the appointment, your application will be accepted and your supporting documents checked (bring these with you to the appointment). Your fingerprints will be taken for the production of an electronic residence permit (eAT).
  • In the case of an electronic application, the Immigration Office will contact you after receiving your online application to arrange an appointment at the Immigration Office if necessary. During the appointment, your documents will be checked (bring them with you to the appointment) and your fingerprints will be taken for the production of the eAT.
  • If your application is approved, the Foreigners' Registration Office will arrange for the eAT to be issued.
  • After about six to eight weeks, you can collect the eAT from the Foreigners' Registration Office.
  • The procedure at the Foreigners' Registration Office is usually conducted in German. Your pyour personal appearance at the Foreigners' Registration Office is required.
  • During qualified vocational training, you may work up to ten hours per week in an occupation that is independent of your vocational training. Gainful employment alongside vocational training that is not qualified is not permitted. Self-employment is not permitted under any circumstances.
  • If your qualified vocational training is terminated prematurely for reasons for which you are not responsible, you may be given the opportunity to look for another training place for a period of up to six months.
  • The residence permit to attend school can also be granted on the basis of bilateral and multilateral agreements between the federal states and public authorities in other countries.

Ministry of the Interior and Municipal Affairs of the State of Brandenburg

The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

No authority found