jump link

citizen service


You enter your place of residence or the place where you want to contact the administration or use the location sensing.


In the second step, you choose which information you really need.

Source: BUS Sachsen-Anhalt (Linie6PLus)

Apply for a residence permit for the purpose of studying


You can obtain a residence permit for the purpose of studying if you want to study in Germany and have been admitted to a state-recognized university or a comparable educational institution in Germany. The course must be full-time.

The purpose of the course also includes preparatory measures. Preparatory measures for the study are:

  • attending a preparatory language course if you have already been admitted to the programme and admission is linked to attending a preparatory course and
  • attending a preparatory college or a comparable institution if a place is certainly available.

The residence permit for the purpose of studying is a temporary residence permit.

With your residence permit, you may work for up to 120 days or 240 half days a year or a student part-time job for the purpose of studying. In the case of preparatory measures in the first year, you are not allowed to work, except during the holiday season.

  • You have a recognised and valid identity document (e.g. passport or passport substitute) and – if this was required for entry – an appropriate visa.
  • You have been admitted to a state-recognized university or a recognized educational institution in Germany.
  • It is a full-time course.
  • Your livelihood is secured for the duration of your studies.
  • Depending on the study requirements of your degree programme, you may have to prove that you have language skills required for your studies (usually at least at level B2) to the Foreigners' Registration Office. Proof of language skills is not required if they have already been tested by the receiving university as part of the admission decision or if they are to be acquired as part of a preparatory language course.
  • There is no interest in expulsion against you.
  • Their stay does not endanger or impair the interests of the Federal Republic of Germany.
  • Recognized and valid identity document (e.g. passport or passport substitute)
  • Up-to-date biometric photo in the passport (45 x 35 mm)
  • Visa, if required for entry
  • Proof of securing a livelihood (e.g. equity, scholarship certificate, declaration of commitment, blocked account at a bank, proof of parents' income or similar)
  • Lease
  • Proof of health insurance coverage
  • Letter of admission from the educational institute
  • If applicable, proof of the required language skills, for example through suitable language certificates such as language tests from the ALTE-certified examination providers Goethe-Institut, telc GmbH, ÖSD, TestDAF, but also DSH, DSD, TOEFL, IELTS
  • When participating in preparatory measures: Proof of admission to the preparatory college or to a preparatory language course

The documents and information must always be submitted in German. In individual cases, the Foreigners' Registration Office may require less or more evidence.

Cost amount (fixed): 100,00 EURO

Under certain conditions, a fee reduction or fee waiver may be considered.


Additional fees may apply for the issuance of the residence permit in the form of the electronic residence permit (eAT card), which can also be used as electronic proof of identity.

The timing and form of fee collection and payment vary depending on the authority.

Under certain conditions, a fee reduction or fee exemption may be considered (e.g. for persons entitled to asylum or recognised refugees). Lower fees may apply for Turkish nationals.

The residence permit should be applied for no later than eight weeks before the expiry of your visa, visa-free stay or still valid residence permit.

Note (for more information on the deadline):

The residence permit is issued for a minimum of one year and usually for a maximum of two years. If the course lasts less than two years, it is granted for the duration of the study.

In the case of participation in a Union or multilateral programme with mobility measures (e.g. ERASMUS+ programme of the European Union) or if the foreigner is covered by an agreement between two or more higher education institutions, the residence permit is issued for at least two years or for the duration of the study if the study lasts less than two years.

Duration (with fixed time): approx. 8

Note for further information on processing time:

The processing time for the issuance of a residence permit may vary depending on the workload of the Foreigners' Registration Office.

It takes about 4 to 6 weeks for Bundesdruckerei to produce the electronic residence permit.

The immigration authority responsible for the applicant's place of residence

  • Forms: Forms can be obtained from your immigration office, if necessary they are also offered online
  • Online procedures possible in isolated cases
  • Written form required: yes
  • Personal appearance required: yes
  • The residence permit must be applied for before your visa or visa-free period of stay or your current residence permit expires.
  • Find out whether your Foreigners' Registration Office allows you to apply online or has a special application form.
  • If the application is only possible in person, make an appointment at the Foreigners' Registration Office. In the case of an online application, the Foreigners' Registration Office will contact you after receipt of your application to make an appointment.
  • During the appointment, your identity and documents will be checked (please bring your documents, if possible in the original, with you to the appointment).
  • If your application is granted, your fingerprints will be taken in the form of an electronic residence permit (eAT card) for the production of the residence permit. You will also need to provide a signature.
  • The Foreigners' Registration Office commissions the production of the eAT card from Bundesdruckerei. After completion, you will receive information and can pick up the eAT card from the responsible office. The collection must always be done in person.
  • If your application is rejected, you will receive a rejection notice.
  • The procedure is usually carried out in German. If you have insufficient knowledge of German, it is advisable to speak with a person who can act as a translator.
  • All information provided to the Foreigners' Registration Office should be correct and complete to the best of our knowledge and belief so that the request can be processed without major delays.
  • Incorrect or incomplete information can slow down the procedure and be detrimental to the persons concerned. In the event of an emergency, incorrect or incomplete information that is not completed or corrected in time vis-à-vis the Foreigners' Registration Office may result in the revocation of residence rights already granted, a fine, imprisonment of up to three years or expulsion from the federal territory.
  • Due to the complexity of the right of residence, this description is for information purposes only and is not legally binding.

Ministry of the Interior and Municipal Affairs of the State of Brandenburg

The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

No authority found