jump link

citizen service


You enter your place of residence or the place where you want to contact the administration or use the location sensing.


In the second step, you choose which information you really need.

Source: BUS Sachsen-Anhalt (Linie6PLus)

Applying for a residence permit for the purpose of education and training


If you are a national of a non-EU or non-EEA country, you will need a residence permit for training purposes for in-company training or further education in Germany.

The residence permit can be issued both for qualified vocational training and for vocational training that is not qualified.

Qualified vocational training exists if it is vocational training in a state-recognised or comparably regulated training occupation for which a training period of at least two years is specified in accordance with federal or state regulations. If these requirements are not met, it is not a qualified vocational training.

Continuing vocational training is understood to mean, for example, qualification measures, internships, practical phases following a course of study or trainee programmes.

The residence permit can be issued regardless of your previous qualifications, so it is not linked to special school requirements. Whether trainees are suitable for training must be checked by the training company.

If you want to attend a language course in advance of vocational training that is not qualified vocational training or before further training, you must first apply for a residence permit to participate in a language course and then a residence permit for training and further education purposes.

During qualified vocational training, you are entitled to work up to ten hours a week that is independent of your vocational training. Gainful employment in addition to vocational training that is not qualified or in-company further training is not permitted. Self-employment is not permitted in any case.

You can apply for vocational training allowance for the duration of your training or further education (see "Further information").

Training and further education companies that wish to train or further train a person from abroad can apply to the Foreigners' Registration Office for the accelerated skilled worker procedure under the authority of the foreigner, which can facilitate and accelerate the entry of skilled workers (see "Further information").

  • The residence permit must be applied for before your visa or visa-free residence period or your current residence permit expires.
  • Find out whether your immigration office makes it possible to apply online or provides a special application form.
  • If the application is only possible in person, make an appointment at the Foreigners' Registration Office. In the case of online applications, the Foreigners' Registration Office will contact you after receipt of your application to make an appointment.
  • During the appointment, your identity and your documents will be checked (please bring your documents, if possible in the original, to the appointment). If the approval of the Federal Employment Agency is required, the Foreigners' Registration Office usually obtains it in an internal administrative procedure.
  • If your application is granted, your fingerprints will be taken for the production of the residence permit in the form of the electronic residence permit (eAT card).
  • The Foreigners' Registration Office commissions Bundesdruckerei to produce the eAT card. After completion, you will receive information and can pick up the eAT card at the responsible office. In principle, the collection must be made in person.
  • If your application is rejected, you will receive a rejection notice.

In order to carry out the accelerated skilled worker procedure, the training and further education company turns to the immigration authority responsible for the place of training or further education.

- For the issuance of a national visa before entering the Federal territory: The German mission abroad (embassy, consulate)
- For the issuance of a residence permit after entry: The immigration authority responsible for the applicant's place of residence

For the accelerated skilled worker procedure:
Foreigners' Registration Office at the place of performance of the service, unless a central office has been set up to carry out the procedure.

You can also get free advice on the topics of entry, residence and work at the 'Hotline Working and Living in Germany' of the Federal Government's portal for skilled workers from abroad. Phone: 030 1815-1111 Service hours: Monday to Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.

  • Your livelihood (including health insurance) is secured for the entire duration of the training or further education.
  • For qualified vocational training, you can prove sufficient knowledge of the German language (level B 1 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages).

If you do not yet have the required language skills, you can attend a job-related German language course to prepare for your training. The residence permit to be issued for qualified vocational training also includes attending the language course before the start of vocational training.

In principle, there are no requirements for language skills for the commencement of vocational training that is not qualified vocational training. As a rule, however, at least sufficient German language skills at level A2 will be required.

There are no requirements for language skills for the commencement of in-company further training.

  • The Federal Employment Agency must check the employment requirements (for example, the training or further education contract) and approve the employment (usually arranged by the Foreigners' Registration Office).
  • If you have not yet reached the age of 18, a person entitled to your personal care must agree to the planned stay in Germany.

Your stay in Germany is not precluded by any reasons of public security and order. There is no interest in expulsion against you.

  • Recognized and valid identity document (for example, passport or passport replacement).
  • For recent entry: Visa if required for entry.
  • For a previous stay in Germany: Current residence permit.
  • Current biometric photo in passport format (45 x 35 mm).
  • Proof of health insurance coverage (for example, confirmation of health insurance coverage or insurance policy).
  • Training contract.
  • Approval of the Federal Employment Agency (usually obtained by the Foreigners' Registration Office).
  • In the case of qualified vocational training: proof of sufficient knowledge of the German language (e.g. language certificate, German school, training or university certificates, proof of successful participation in the integration course, confirmation of sufficient language skills by the training company for the desired vocational training, confirmation of registration for a job-related German language course).
  • Proof of livelihood (e.g. proof of income, education or employment contract, pension notice, proof of receipt of benefits such as parental or child benefit, maintenance payments).
  • In the case of a minor: Consent of the person entitled to custody for the planned stay.

The documents and information must always be presented in German. In individual cases, the Foreigners' Registration Office may require less or more evidence.

Further documents are required for the implementation of the accelerated specialist procedure. As an employer, please contact the competent immigration authority.

Cost amount (fixed):

  • 100.00 for adult applicants
  • 50.00 for underage applicants


Additional fees may apply for the issuance of the residence permit in the form of the electronic residence permit (eAT card), which can also be used as electronic proof of identity.

The timing and form of charging and payment vary depending on the authority.

In certain cases, fee reductions or exemptions may be considered (for example, for persons entitled to asylum or recognised refugees). Turkish nationals may incur lower fees.

Duration (for range): 6 to 8 before the visa expires

Remark (for more information on validity):

The residence permit should be applied for at least eight weeks before the expiry of your still valid visa or residence permit.

Duration (at range): 6 to 3

Remark (for more information on the deadline):

The residence permit is issued for a limited period of time. The validity usually depends on the duration of the training or further education. An extension must be applied for in good time before the expiry of the validity at the Foreigners' Registration Office.

Duration (at range): approx. 6 to 8

Note for further information on the processing time:

The processing time may vary depending on the workload of the Foreigners' Registration Office.

The production of the electronic residence permit by Bundesdruckerei takes about 4 to 6 weeks.

Forms available: No

Written form required: No

Informal application possible: Yes

Personal appearance required: Yes

  • During the validity of a residence permit for in-company training and further education, it is generally possible to switch to another qualified vocational training. If the purpose of the stay changes, this must be communicated immediately to the competent immigration authority. If the conditions for this are met, it is possible to switch to a residence permit for employment as a specialist, for the exercise of an employment with pronounced practical professional knowledge, for a course of study or other purposes to which there is a legal entitlement.
  • After successful completion of qualified vocational training, the residence permit for the search for a job can be extended for up to twelve months.
  • If the qualified vocational training or further education ends prematurely for reasons for which the person concerned is not responsible, the opportunity can be given to look for another training place for a period of up to six months.
  • The procedure is usually carried out in German. If you have insufficient knowledge of German, it is advisable to audition with a person who can act as a translator. All information provided to the Foreigners' Registration Office should be correct and complete to the best of our knowledge and belief so that the request can be processed without major delays.
  • Incorrect or incomplete information can slow down the procedure and be detrimental to those affected. In an emergency, incorrect or incomplete information that is not completed or corrected in good time to the Foreigners' Registration Office may result in the withdrawal of already granted residence rights, a fine, a prison sentence of up to three years or expulsion from federal territory.
  • Due to the complexity of the right of residence, this description is for information purposes only and is not legally binding.

The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

Ministry of the Interior and Municipal Affairs

of the State of Brandenburg

No authority found