jump link

citizen service


You enter your place of residence or the place where you want to contact the administration or use the location sensing.


In the second step, you choose which information you really need.

Source: BUS Sachsen-Anhalt (Linie6PLus)

Applying for a residence permit for the purpose of applying to university


You can obtain a residence permit to look for a place at university if you would like to study in Germany but no place is available yet.

If you have not yet reached the age of 18, the persons entitled to take care of you must agree to your stay in order to apply for a place at university.

  • You would like to stay in Germany to look for a place to study.
  • You are entitled to attend a German university or a preparatory college on the basis of your school-leaving certificate.
  • You can cover your living expenses and health insurance for the duration of your stay from your own resources without claiming public benefits.
  • There are no grounds for deportation against you.
  • Your stay does not jeopardize or impair the interests of the Federal Republic of Germany.
  • Recognized and valid identity document (e.g. passport or passport substitute)
  • Visa, if this was required for entry
  • For a previous stay in Germany: Current residence document (e.g. residence permit)
  • Current biometric photo in passport format (45 x 35 mm)
  • Proof of a school-leaving certificate that directly entitles you to study in Germany or alternatively to attend a preparatory college
  • Proof of means of subsistence (e.g. from own assets, payment of a security deposit into a blocked account, bank guarantee, declaration of commitment, scholarship, proof of parents' income or similar)
  • Proof of health insurance cover (e.g. confirmation of health insurance cover or insurance policy)
  • For minors: Consent of all persons with custody rights to the planned stay (declaration of consent); if the parents with custody rights cannot submit the application jointly for their child, a written power of attorney from the absent parent is required; if only one parent has custody rights, the signature of this parent is sufficient

The documents and information must always be submitted in German. In individual cases, the Immigration Office may require less or further proof.

  • 100.00 euros for adult applicants
  • 50.00 Euro for underage applicants


Additional fees may apply for the issue of a residence permit in the form of an electronic residence permit (eAT card), which can also be used as electronic proof of identity.

The time and form of fee collection and payment vary depending on the authority.

In certain cases, fee reductions or exemptions may apply (e.g. for persons entitled to asylum or recognized refugees). Lower fees may apply for Turkish nationals.

Application deadline:

6 weeks to 8 weeks

Note (for further information on validity):

The residence permit should be applied for at least eight weeks before your valid visa or residence permit expires.

The residence permit is issued for a maximum of nine months.

approx. 6 weeks to 8 weeks

Note for further information on processing times:

The processing time may vary depending on the workload at the immigration office.

The production of the electronic residence permit by the Bundesdruckerei takes about 4 to 6 weeks.

- Forms: Forms can be obtained from your foreigners authority; these may also be available online
- Online procedure occasionally possible
- Written form required: yes
- Personal appearance required: yes

  • Find out whether your immigration office allows you to apply online or has a special application form.
  • If you have not yet reached the age of 18, you may not submit the application yourself, but need a representative (as a rule, the application is submitted by the custodial parent).
  • If the application can only be made in person, make an appointment at the Foreigners' Registration Office. If you apply online, the Foreigners' Registration Office will contact you after receiving your application to arrange an appointment.
  • If you have not yet reached the age of 18, you must be accompanied by at least one representative at the personal appointment. If the parent with custody is unable to attend in person, a written power of attorney must be provided for the application.
  • Your identity and documents will be checked during the appointment (please bring your documents to the appointment, in the original if possible).
  • If your application is approved, your fingerprints will be taken to produce the residence permit in the form of an electronic residence permit (eAT card).
  • The Foreigners' Registration Office will commission the Bundesdruckerei to produce the eAT card. After completion, you will receive information and can collect the eAT card from the responsible office. The eAT card must always be collected in person.
  • If your application is rejected, you will receive a notice of rejection.
  • The procedure at the Foreigners' Registration Office is usually conducted in German.
  • All information provided to the Foreigners' Registration Office should be correct and complete to the best of your knowledge and belief so that your application can be processed without major delays.
  • Incorrect or incomplete information can slow down the procedure and be detrimental to the person concerned. In serious cases, incorrect or incomplete information that is not completed or corrected in good time vis-à-vis the immigration authority can result in the revocation of previously granted residence rights, a fine, a prison sentence of up to three years or expulsion from the federal territory.
  • Due to the complexity of residence law, this description is for information purposes only and is not legally binding.

Ministry of the Interior and Municipal Affairs of the State of Brandenburg

The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

No authority found