jump link

citizen service


You enter your place of residence or the place where you want to contact the administration or use the location sensing.


In the second step, you choose which information you really need.

Source: BUS Sachsen-Anhalt (Linie6PLus)

Applying for a residence permit to carry out a qualification measure


You can obtain a residence permit to carry out a qualification measure if a recognition procedure has been carried out at a body responsible in Germany for the recognition of professional qualifications and the recognition authority has determined that the qualification measures for the
- the recognition of your professional qualification (determination of equivalence to a domestic professional qualification) or
- for the granting of the professional license (access to the profession)
are required.
Qualification measures include adaptation and compensatory measures in theoretical and practical form (internships in the company, theoretical courses, mixed forms), preparation courses for examinations and language courses.
The residence permit for the recognition of foreign professional qualifications is a temporary residence permit. It shall be granted for the duration of the qualification measure, but for a maximum of 18 months.
With your residence permit for the exercise of foreign professional qualifications, you may work up to 10 hours per week, independent of the qualification measure.

- You have a recognised and valid passport or passport substitute and- if necessary for entry - an appropriate visa.
- There is no interest in expulsion against you.
- Your stay does not endanger or adversely affect the interests of the Federal Republic of Germany.
- The body responsible for the recognition of your professional qualification in Germany has issued a decision stating that you lack practical or theoretical knowledge or skills in order to achieve full equivalence and that the adaptation, compensatory measures or other qualifications are required to determine the equivalence of your foreign professional qualification with a domestic professional qualification.
If you carry out an activity whose taking up or exercise is bound by law or administrative regulations to the possession of certain professional qualifications (e.B. in the case of doctors, nurses, lawyers, teachers, educators or engineers, so-called regulated professions), it must follow from the decision that adaptation or compensatory measures are necessary for the granting of the professional license.
- You have successfully registered for a corresponding qualification measure.
- The qualification measure is suitable for enabling the recognition of the professional qualification or access to the profession.
- You have at least German language skills at level A2
- In the case of predominantly in-company vocational training, the Federal Employment Agency has approved the qualification measure if the consent is not dispensable (the consent is usually obtained from the Foreigners' Registration Office).
- Your livelihood is secured.

- Valid passport
- Current biometric photo
- Visa, if required
- Deficit decision of the recognition authority
- Proof of at least sufficient knowledge of German at level A 2
- Proof of the intended qualification measure, if necessary. Training plan
- Proof of livelihood
- Rental agreement
- Proof of your health insurance

Issuance of residence permit: EUR 100,00

Under certain conditions, a fee reduction or fee exemption may be considered.


- The residence permit should be applied for at least eight weeks before the expiry of your visa, which is still valid.
- Objection period: 1 month

about six to eight weeks

The immigration authority responsible for the applicant's place of residence

You can also get free advice on the topics of entry, residence and work at the 'Hotline Working and Living in Germany' of the Federal Government's portal for skilled workers from abroad. Phone: 030 1815-1111 Service hours: Monday to Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.

- Forms: Forms can be obtained from your immigration office, if necessary they are also offered online
- Online procedure possible in isolated cases
- Written form required: yes
- Personal appearance required: yes

The residence permit must be applied for at the immigration authority responsible for your place of residence. The procedure is as follows:

  • Depending on the foreigners' registration office and concerns, it may be possible to apply via the Internet. Find out whether your immigration office offers the electronic application for a residence permit.
  • If the application is only possible in person, make an appointment with the Foreigners' Registration Office. During the appointment, your application will be accepted and your proofs will be checked (bring them with you to the appointment). Your fingerprints will be taken for the production of an electronic residence permit (eAT card).
  • In the event of an electronic application, the Foreigners' Registration Office will contact you upon receipt of your online application in order to make an appointment at the Foreigners' Registration Office if necessary. During the appointment, your proofs will be checked (bring them to the appointment) and your fingerprints will be taken for the production of the electronic residence permit (eAT card).
  • If your application is granted, the Foreigners' Registration Office will arrange for the eAT card to be produced.
  • After about six to eight weeks, you can pick up the eAT card at the Foreigners' Registration Office.
  • The eAT card must always be collected in person.

Fees apply for issuing the residence permit. The timing and form of payment vary depending on the authority.

§ 16d Abs. 1 AufenthG

Ministry of the Interior and Municipal Affairs
of the State of Brandenburg

The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

No authority found