jump link

citizen service


You enter your place of residence or the place where you want to contact the administration or use the location sensing.


In the second step, you choose which information you really need.

Source: BUS Sachsen-Anhalt (Linie6PLus)

Apply for a residence permit for the purpose of employment as a specialist with vocational training


You can obtain a residence permit for skilled workers with vocational training if you have completed qualified vocational training in Germany. Qualified vocational training exists if you have completed vocational training in a state-recognised or similarly regulated training occupation. The duration of training must have been at least two years. If you have completed your vocational training abroad, the equivalence of your qualification with the German, qualified vocational training must be determined by the competent recognition body (e.B. the Chamber of Industry or Commerce) become.

Before issuing the residence permit, the Federal Employment Agency must give its consent. This Federal Employment Agency checks whether the working conditions correspond to those of comparable German employees, whether you are employed in an occupation to which your qualification qualifies you and whether there is a domestic employment relationship.

If the residence permit is issued, it is limited in time. The validity depends on your employment contract or the period of validity of the consent of the Federal Employment Agency. In the case of permanent employment contracts, the residence permit for skilled workers is issued for a period of four years.

  • You have a recognized and valid passport or passport substitute and - if necessary for entry - a suitable visa.
  • There is no interest in expulsion against you.
  • Your stay does not endanger or adversely affect the interests of the Federal Republic of Germany.
  • You own
  • a domestic qualified vocational training or
  • an equivalent foreign professional qualification
  • You have a qualification that qualifies you to carry out qualified employment. This means that, in principle, you can also work in a related profession if there is a connection between the training and the intended activity (e.B. a baker can also work as a confectioner).
  • You have a job or a job offer
    If you have reached the age of 45, you must provide proof of an employment contract or a binding job offer with a certain minimum salary. The minimum salary must reach 55 percent of the annual contribution assessment limit in the general pension insurance. This results in a minimum salary for 2020 of EUR 45 540 per year. Even if this minimum salary is not reached, a residence permit can be issued on presentation of proof of an adequate pension or in special cases (e.B. if there is a public interest in the employment).
    The amount of the contribution assessment limit is announced for each year by 31 December of the previous year by the Federal Ministry of the Interior, Building and Community in the Federal Gazette.
  • The Federal Employment Agency has agreed to take up work (consent is usually obtained from the Foreigners' Registration Office). ==References====External links== Their working conditions (in particular salary) are comparable to those of a German employee in the same position.
  • If necessary, you have a professional license.
  • You can secure your livelihood and health insurance coverage from your income without using public benefits.
  • Valid passport
  • Current biometric photo
  • Original of your employment contract or a binding job offer (please use the nationwide uniform form Declaration of Employment Relationship )
  • Original of the certificate of successfully completed vocational training
  • If available, decision on the determination of the equivalence of the foreign professional qualification with a domestic qualified vocational training
  • For regulated professions: Your professional license
  • If necessary: Professional license
  • Proof of your health insurance
  • Current registration certificate
  • Lease

In addition, in the case of recent entry:

  • Visa if required for entry

as well as in the case of a previous stay:

  • Current residence permit or other certificate of the right of residence (e.B. residence permit, toleration)

Issuance of residence permit: EUR 100,00



Under certain conditions, a fee reduction or fee exemption may be considered.

  • The residence permit should be applied for at least eight weeks before the expiry of your still valid visa or residence permit.
  • The residence permit is issued for a limited period of time. The validity depends on the validity of your employment contract and the consent of the Federal Employment Agency.
  • Objection period: 1 month

about six to eight weeks

The immigration authority responsible for the applicant's place of residence

  • Forms: Declaration of employment ( uniform nationwide); further authority-specific forms can be obtained from your immigration office, if necessary these are also offered online
  • Online procedure occasionally possible
  • Written form required: yes
  • Personal appearance necessary: yes

The residence permit must be applied for at the immigration authority responsible for your place of residence. The procedure is as follows:

  • Depending on the foreigners' registration office and concerns, it may be possible to apply via the Internet. Find out whether your immigration office offers the electronic application for a residence permit.
  • If the application is only possible in person, make an appointment with the Foreigners' Registration Office. During the appointment, your application will be accepted and your proofs will be checked (bring them with you to the appointment). Your fingerprints will be taken for the production of an electronic residence permit (eAT card).
  • In the event of an electronic application, the Foreigners' Registration Office will contact you upon receipt of your online application in order to make an appointment at the Foreigners' Registration Office if necessary. During the appointment, your proofs will be checked (bring them to the appointment) and your fingerprints will be taken for the production of the electronic residence permit (eAT card).
  • If your application is granted, the Foreigners' Registration Office will arrange for the eAT card to be produced.
  • After about six to eight weeks, you can pick up the eAT card at the Foreigners' Registration Office.
  • The eAT card must always be collected in person.
  • Fees apply for issuing the residence permit. The timing and form of payment vary depending on the authority.

§ 18 Residence Act

§ 18a Residence Act

§ 39 Residence Act

Ministry of the Interior and Municipal Affairs

of the State of Brandenburg

The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

No authority found