jump link

citizen service


You enter your place of residence or the place where you want to contact the administration or use the location sensing.


In the second step, you choose which information you really need.

Source: BUS Sachsen-Anhalt (Linie6PLus)

Apply for a residence permit for the purpose of employment with strong practical professional knowledge


If you have strong practical professional knowledge, you can obtain a residence permit to work in the field of information and communication technology (IT industry).

To do this, you must have worked in IT for at least three years in the last seven years and have acquired strong skills and knowledge of your job. In addition, the issuance of such a residence permit requires that there is an employment contract or a concrete job offer with a certain minimum salary.

You do not need to have completed any qualified vocational training or studies. Recognition of your qualification acquired abroad is also not required. It can be helpful if, in addition to your several years of professional experience, you also have relevant theoretical knowledge (e.g. through certificates or references).

Before the residence permit is issued, the Federal Employment Agency must approve the employment. This also examines whether certain requirements can be waived. The Federal Employment Agency gives its approval for a maximum of four years.

The residence permit is issued for a limited period of time. Their validity depends on your employment contract or the period of validity of the approval of the Federal Employment Agency.

Under certain circumstances, the Foreigners' Registration Office may oblige you to participate in an integration course. This will then be noted on your residence permit.

If you are an employer and would like to hire an IT specialist from abroad, you can apply to the Foreigners' Registration Office for the accelerated skilled worker procedure on behalf of the foreigner, which can be used to facilitate and accelerate the entry of skilled workers.

  • You have a recognised and valid passport or passport substitute and - if required for entry - an appropriate visa.
  • There is no interest in expulsion against you.
  • Their stay does not endanger or impair the interests of the Federal Republic of Germany.
  • You have worked in IT for at least three years within the last seven years.
  • You have an employment contract or a binding job offer in the field of information and communication technology.
  • Your salary will reach at least 60% of the contribution assessment ceiling in the pension insurance. In 2020, 60% corresponds to a gross minimum salary of EUR 4,140 per month or EUR 49,680 per year (limit applies to the entire federal territory). The amount of the contribution assessment ceiling is announced for each year by 31 December of the previous year by the Federal Ministry of the Interior, Building and Community in the Federal Gazette (see further information).
  • You can secure your livelihood and health insurance coverage independently without using public services.
  • You have sufficient knowledge of German. This corresponds to language level B1. In individual cases, the requirement of German language skills can be waived. If this requirement is to be waived in your case, you must apply for it and justify it.
  • The Federal Employment Agency has approved the start of work (consent is usually obtained from the Foreigners' Registration Office). For approval, among other things, the following must be obtained: Their working conditions (in particular salary) must be comparable to those of a German employee in the same position.
  • Valid passport
  • Proof of at least three years of professional experience within the last seven years
  • If available, further proof of your acquired theoretical knowledge (e.g. certificates)
  • Your language certificate level B1
  • Original of your employment contract or a binding job offer with salary information (please use the nationwide form Declaration of Employment Relationship )
  • Recent biometric photo
  • Current registration certificate
  • Proof of your health insurance
  • Lease
  • In addition
  • in case of recent entry:
  • Visa, if it was required for entry
  • as well as in the case of a previous stay:
  • Current residence permit or other certificate of right of residence (e.g. residence permit, toleration)
  • Further documents are required for the employer to carry out the accelerated skilled worker procedure. Please contact the responsible immigration office for this purpose

Issuance of residence permit: EUR 100.00

Amendment of an existing residence permit for the purpose of obtaining a residence permit for the purpose of employment in the case of distinctive practical professional knowledge (change of purpose): EUR 98.00

Under certain conditions, a fee reduction or fee waiver may be considered.

Note: The residence permit is issued as an electronic residence permit. The fee for the reissue of the card body is EUR 67.00

  • The residence permit should be applied for no later than eight weeks before the expiry of your valid visa or residence permit.
  • The residence permit is issued for a limited period of time. The validity depends on the period of validity of your employment contract and the approval of the Federal Employment Agency.
  • Objection period: 1 month

about six to eight weeks

The immigration authority responsible for the applicant's place of residence;

For the accelerated skilled worker procedure:

Foreigners' Registration Office at the place of the permanent establishment where the foreigner is to be employed, unless a central office has been set up to carry out the procedure

  • Forms: Declaration of employment ( uniform nationwide); Further authority-specific forms can be obtained from your Foreigners' Registration Office, if necessary these are also offered online
  • Online procedure possible: occasionally
  • Written form required: yes
  • Personal appearance required: yes

The residence permit must be applied for at the immigration office responsible for your place of residence. The procedure is as follows:

  • Depending on the immigration office and the request, it may be possible to apply via the Internet. Find out whether your Foreigners' Registration Office offers the electronic application for a residence permit.
  • If the application is only possible in person, make an appointment with the Foreigners' Registration Office.
    During the appointment, your application will be received and your evidence will be checked (bring it with you to the appointment). Your fingerprints will be taken for the production of an electronic residence permit (eAT card).
  • In the event of an electronic application, the Foreigners' Registration Office will contact you after receipt of your online application in order to make an appointment at the Foreigners' Registration Office if necessary. During the appointment, your documents will be checked (bring them with you to the appointment) and your fingerprints will be taken for the production of the electronic residence permit (eAT card).
  • If your application is granted, the Foreigners' Registration Office will arrange for the eAT card to be produced.
  • After about six to eight weeks, you can pick up the eAT card at the Foreigners' Registration Office.
  • The eAT card must always be picked up in person.

There are fees for the issuance of the residence permit. The timing and form of payment vary depending on the authority.

Section 19c (2) of the Residence Act

Section 42 (1) No. 2 of the Residence Act (AufenthG)

§ 6 Employment Ordinance (BeschV)

Ministry of the Interior and Local Government

of the State of Brandenburg

The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

No authority found