jump link

citizen service


You enter your place of residence or the place where you want to contact the administration or use the location sensing.


In the second step, you choose which information you really need.

Source: BUS Sachsen-Anhalt (Linie6PLus)

Applying for loans in certain acute emergency situations


If you receive unemployment benefit II or social benefits, a lump sum of money is taken into account for the standard needs. In addition to the current requirements, this flat-rate standard requirement also includes the requirements arising at irregular or large intervals. The amount of the standard requirement depends on the assigned standard requirement level, which depends on your age and family situation.

The control requirement covers in particular the following requirements:

  • Nutrition
  • Clothing
  • Personal hygiene
  • Furniture
  • household energy excluding the shares of heating and production of hot water, and
  • personal needs of daily life (including participation in social and cultural life in the community).

If, due to special circumstances, you need more money for your everyday needs in the short term than the standard requirement for your individual case, and you can neither pay nor postpone these costs yourself, the job center will grant you an interest-free loan for the undeniable need on request.

There is an undeniable need,

  • if it cannot be postponed and therefore a loan to avoid an acute emergency situation is unavoidable, and
  • it cannot be expected that you will be able to compensate for this need with the next benefits to cover the standard requirement (unemployment benefit II or social benefit).

Examples include:

  • necessary repairs,
  • necessary purchases (for example, new winter clothing for growing children),
  • the imminent blocking of the power supply (household electricity) due to so-called "new debts", unless you can avert the power cut in another way, for example by agreeing on an installment payment with the utility,
  • theft or loss, and
  • Apartment or house fire.

You must apply for the loan separately and you must always prove the undeniable need. If you have assets, you must first use them to finance the expenses. Depending on the situation, the job centre can also commission its sales force to determine the need.

The job center can also decide that you get benefits in kind instead of money. The amount of the loan then corresponds exactly to the value of the required need.

You must use the loan appropriately. The job centre may require proof of this (for example, proof of purchase).

You must repay the loan. If you continue to receive benefits under SGB II in the future, the loan will be offset monthly against your entitlement to benefits:

  • For 1 loan: in the amount of 10 percent of your standard requirement (the relevant standard requirement level)
  • In the case of several loans: a maximum of 30 percent of your relevant standard requirement (the relevant standard requirement level).

How the loan will be offset in your specific case will be explained to you in writing. Repayment begins from the month following the disbursement of the loan.

In order to get the loan, you must apply for it at your job center.

  • If possible, contact your contact person in the job center.
  • Submit an application. You can also submit an informal application.
  • Submit your application with all the supporting documents to your job centre.
  • The job centre will check your application and your documents.
  • You will receive a notification from the job centre about the decision of your application (approved or rejected).
  • As a rule, the loan amount is transferred to your account. This is usually different, for example, in the case of electricity debts with the threat of a power cut. The loan amount is then generally transferred directly to your utility company.

In order to get the loan from the job center, you must prove that:

  • you have an acute, one-off need, which by its nature is one of the everyday needs (regular needs),
  • you cannot compensate for this need with the benefit provided for this purpose (unemployment benefit II or social benefit) and you have no assets,
  • You have no other way to cover the demand (for example, via second-hand goods warehouse or clothing store) and,
  • the need is undeniable. This is true,
    • if you cannot postpone it, and
    • You cannot compensate for the demand with the next services to cover the standard requirement.

Evidence that and to what extent there is an undeniable need, for example

  • Theft report,
  • Cost estimate or order for repairs and/or
  • current account statements

Forms available: Depending on the job center
Written form required: No
Informal application possible: Yes
Personal appearance necessary: No
Online services available: No

You will receive any form offered from the local job centre.

The BA's technical instructions only bind the job centres, which are run in the form of a joint institution (gE) of the Federal Employment Agency and the local municipal body (municipality or district). In this respect, supervision is the responsibility of the Federal Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs (BMAS).

In addition, there are job centres that are run as approved municipal institutions (zkT) (so-called option municipalities). In this respect, supervision is the responsibility of the respective countries.

The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

Federal Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs (BMAS)

No authority found