jump link

citizen service


You enter your place of residence or the place where you want to contact the administration or use the location sensing.


In the second step, you choose which information you really need.

Source: BUS Sachsen-Anhalt (Linie6PLus)

Apply for a loan or a grant on-demand for training


During in-company training or vocational preparation measures, you may be entitled to a supplementary allowance II. However, priority must be given to vocational training allowance or training allowance. The same applies if you are a student in a school education who receive benefits according to the BAföG. Even if you receive BAföG during your studies and live in your parents' household, you can receive supplementary unemployment benefit II. The following services are therefore not relevant for you.

If you are studying and do not live with your parents, are in training and are not entitled to educational support under the BAföG (for example, because of exceeding the maximum funding period or the age limit) or are accommodated in training and in the boarding school, the following benefits are eligible for you:

Services for additional requirements

Under certain conditions, in addition to the training support (for example, BAföG benefits), you can apply for a subsidy for so-called additional requirements. These include:

  • More needs for expectant mothers
  • Additional requirements for single parents
  • Additional demand for medically necessary cost-intensive nutrition
  • Additional requirements insofar as in individual cases there is an irresponsible, ongoing, not only one-off special need (for example, costs for the exercise of the right of access)

If you have income that exceeds your standard requirements and the costs for your accommodation and heating, the excess amount reduces the benefit for the additional requirement.

Initial equipment during pregnancy and childbirth

If you are pregnant or have given birth to a child, you are entitled to additional financial support for initial equipment, for example for clothing or furniture. The condition is that you are in a financial emergency situation.

Hardship loans

In special cases of hardship, you can receive a loan during your training. This is possible if extraordinary, serious circumstances endanger your education and/or you get into an existentially threatening emergency situation.
You can receive a hardship loan if you do not receive BAföG or if your BAföG benefits are not sufficient to cover your living expenses and you are not in a position to remedy the situation by taking up employment.
You must repay the interest-free hardship loan after the training.

Hardship grant

If you, as a pupil in a school education, do not receive any financial support because you have exceeded certain age limits and are a case of hardship, you may be able to receive a subsidy if this is absolutely necessary for integration into working life. The grant may be paid for:

  • control and additional requirements,
  • needs for accommodation and heating,
  • Contributions to health and long-term care insurance.

The age limit for educational support is usually 30 years, further exceptions are possible.
Students cannot receive a hardship grant, but only a hardship loan.
Note: The regulations for the hardship grant are expiring. You can only receive it if you started your training before December 31, 2020.

Transitional loans

If you are already receiving basic security benefits and are starting an apprenticeship, a transitional loan can be granted for the first month. This loan can help you bridge a financial gap until you receive your first training allowance or support. It prevents your start of training from being jeopardised. It is granted only for the first month of training and paid at the beginning of the month. The amount is based on unemployment benefit II.
You must repay the interest-free loan after the training.

If you find yourself in a financial emergency during your training, you can receive a loan or a grant under certain conditions.

You must apply for a loan or a grant in writing:

  • Check with the job centre responsible for your place of residence about the application procedure.
  • There you can pick up the application form for a grant or loan or have it sent to you.
  • Fill out the application form.
  • If you are not yet of legal age, have the form signed by an educationalized.
  • Send the form back to your job center.
  • The job centre will examine your application.
  • The job center checks your assets and income.
  • The job center makes a decision at its discretion and on a case-by-case basis.
    • Hardship grant: Whether the requirements for a grant are met is decided by the responsible placement specialist.
  • You will receive a notification as to whether your application has been approved or rejected.
  • When you are granted a loan, the job centre will agree with you when and how you will repay the money.

If you are in a financial emergency situation at the beginning or during your training, you can apply for benefits for trainees. Where:


  • As a trainee, you are not entitled to social benefits such as unemployment benefit II and
  • You are in a financial emergency and
  • You cannot pay for your own living.
  • As a rule, the following can benefit from the services mentioned:
    • Students who do not live with their parents
    • Students who have reached the age limit according to § 10 paragraph 3 BAföG
    • Trainees in vocational training who are accommodated
      • in a boarding school,
      • in a dormitory or
      • with your instructor with full catering.

Loans in general

  • Without a loan, the start of your training or its successful completion would be jeopardy for financial reasons.

Hardship loans

  • You are not able to earn through a part-time job, for example because
    • you are a single parent, or
    • you have a disability or
    • you care for a relative or
    • your residence permit is not allowed in Germany.
  • You can be classified as a case of hardship if exceptional, serious and as foreign as possible circumstances endanger your education and/or you get into an emergency situation that threatens your existence.

Hardship grant

  • Only for training courses that will be started before 31 December 2020.
  • You are at least 30 years old and can therefore no longer receive BAföG due to your age and
  • You are in a school education at a vocational school, without the degree of which your professional integration is at serious risk
  • You can be classified as a case of hardship if exceptional, serious and as foreign as possible circumstances endanger your education and/or you get into an emergency situation that threatens your existence.
  • Declaration of income (annex to determine your income situation)
  • Declaration of assets (investment to determine your financial circumstances)

Application: Please note that you submit the application as soon as possible if you become aware of your financial hardship or announce yourself and not only afterwards.

Forms: yes
Online procedure possible: no
Written form required: yes
Personal appearance necessary: yes

The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

Federal Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs

No authority found