jump link

citizen service


You enter your place of residence or the place where you want to contact the administration or use the location sensing.


In the second step, you choose which information you really need.

Source: BUS Sachsen-Anhalt (Linie6PLus)

Apply for unemployment benefit


The unemployment benefit is a compensation benefit and is intended to partially replace the salary that employees cannot earn because of unemployment.

Your entitlement to unemployment benefit arises as soon as you meet the requirements for this for the first time.

How long you are entitled to unemployment benefit depends on the duration of the insurance period in the last 5 years before your unemployment and on the age you have completed when the claim arises. You are entitled to at least 6 months of unemployment benefit if you have been in an employment relationship subject to compulsory insurance for at least 12 months within the last 30 months. The maximum duration of entitlement is

  • for unemployed persons under the age of 50: 12 months and requires an insurance period of at least 24 months.
  • for unemployed persons over 50 years of age: 24 months and requires that the unemployed person has reached the age of 58 and that there are insurance periods of at least 48 months.

Your unemployment benefit is usually calculated on the basis of the average gross salary you earned in the last year before your entitlement to unemployment benefit arose. The height is

  • 67 percent for unemployed people with one child,
  • 60 percent for the remaining unemployed

gross remuneration reduced by the statutory deductions normally incurred by employees.

While you receive unemployment benefit, you are generally covered by statutory health, long-term care and pension insurance. The contributions are borne by the Federal Employment Agency. If you were last exempt from compulsory insurance in pension insurance or health and long-term care insurance, the BA can usually partially cover the contributions for private pension provision.

You are insured against accidents if you receive a special request to visit the Employment Agency or another body while receiving benefits.

Changes (such as illness, vacation, relocation, taking up work) must be communicated immediately, most easily online. Alternatively, you can also make the notifications in writing, by telephone or in person.

If you lose your job or apprenticeship, you can apply for unemployment benefits so that you are financially secure.

You can apply for unemployment benefit online or in person.

  • To apply online, go to the online portal "eServices" of the Federal Employment Agency and click on the "Apply for unemployment benefit" tile.
    • Please note that even in this case, a personal unemployment registration is required in order to receive unemployment benefits.
  • To submit the application in person, please contact your local employment agency. You will usually receive the application form and, if necessary, other documents (so-called "additional sheets") when you register as unemployed in person.
  • The Employment Agency will check your entitlement to unemployment benefit.
  • If your application documents or other reasons do not yet allow a final decision, the Employment Agency can grant you an advance on request if you are entitled to benefits on the merits.
  • You will receive a written notification of the granting of benefits by post, in which the amount and duration of your entitlement to unemployment benefit are noted. You can also receive the notification online if you select the appropriate notification option in your online profile.
  • The unemployment benefit is transferred monthly retrospectively free of charge to the account specified by you. This means that the benefit for the current month is paid out at the end of the month. In the event of financial difficulties, this principle may be derogated from upon request. Ask your agency.
  • In exceptional cases, you can have the unemployment benefit paid out by cheque. You can submit the "payment instruction for set-off" sent by post to your financial institution for credit within one month or have the amount paid out in cash to you (or a person commissioned by you) at any payout point of Deutsche Post or Deutsche Postbank. However, this incurs additional costs.

You are entitled to unemployment benefit if:

  • You are unemployed, that is,
    • You are not in an employment relationship or
    • they are only gainfully employed for less than 15 hours a week, and
    • They are available to the placement efforts of the Employment Agency. They are therefore able and willing to take up employment subject to compulsory insurance under conditions customary in the labour market;
  • You have personally registered as unemployed with the responsible employment agency. With your personal unemployment registration, the unemployment benefit is considered to have been applied for;
  • You were subject to compulsory insurance for at least 12 months within the last 30 months before registering as unemployed (the so-called framework period).
    • Periods are also taken into account in which you were subject to compulsory employment promotion because of the receipt of compensation benefits, such as sick pay, or - under further conditions - for example because of the care of a relative or the upbringing of a child.
    • Periods of compulsory insurance (so-called voluntary continued insurance) can also be taken into account as an insurance period, for example because you have taken up self-employment.
    • In special cases, periods are also taken into account in which you have performed development service in accordance with the Development Workers Act or you have worked abroad on the basis of a secondary contract.
  • Identity card with current registration address
  • Passport/replacement document in conjunction with a current registration certificate
  • Employment certificate (to be completed by the employer)

The Employment Agency may require further documents, for example:

  • Proof (approval notice, proof of achievement) of a previous benefit (unemployment benefit, also at another employment agency)
  • Proof of contributions (compulsory application insurance in unemployment insurance)
  • Written notice
  • Work Item Statement
  • Certificate of receipt of sickness benefit
  • Certificate of secondary income

Unemployment benefit is deemed to have been applied for with your personal unemployment registration if you do not make a different declaration. You avoid disadvantages if

  • you register as unemployed in person on the 1st day of unemployment at the latest,
  • you register as a jobseeker on time and
  • immediately notify you of any changes that arise in your personal circumstances after the application has been submitted

Usually within 5 working days after receipt of the complete documents.

Forms: yes
Online procedure possible: yes
Written form required: no, the application is also possible informally
Personal appearance required: no

Employment certificate (to be completed by the employer)

Please also inform yourself about these topics:

  • Register as a jobseeker
  • Personal unemployment registration
  • Notification of changes in unemployment

The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

Federal Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs

No authority found