jump link

citizen service


You enter your place of residence or the place where you want to contact the administration or use the location sensing.


In the second step, you choose which information you really need.

Source: BUS Sachsen-Anhalt (Linie6PLus)

Apply for a residence permit for the purpose of employment for qualified patients


As a tolerated foreign person, you can obtain a residence permit to work if you have completed qualified vocational training or university studies in Germany. Qualified vocational training exists if you have completed vocational training in a state-recognised or similarly regulated training occupation.  The duration of the training must be at least two years.

If you have obtained your university degree abroad, you can obtain a residence permit if your foreign degree has been legally recognised in Germany or is comparable to a German university degree. The Central Office for Foreign Education is responsible for the recognition of foreign university degrees in Germany (see "Additional information"). In addition, it is necessary that you have been employed in a job that is appropriate to your degree for two years with your foreign university degree. Employment is appropriate if it usually requires an academic degree and the knowledge acquired from higher education is needed at least partially or indirectly. Shorter breaks in employment, which should not normally exceed a total duration of three months, are harmless.

You can also obtain a residence permit if you have acquired your professional qualification abroad, have been in a qualified employment for three years without interruption and have not been dependent on public funds (with the exception of accommodation and heating) within the last year before applying for a residence permit for your subsistence and that of your family members or other household members. Qualified employment occurs when it is usually carried out by persons with skills, knowledge and skills acquired in qualified vocational training or academic training. Shorter interruptions (up to three months) are usually harmless,

The residence permit is issued for a limited period of time for the duration of the employment. For holders of the training allowance, residence permits are granted for two years if they wish to pursue a job corresponding to the qualification acquired in vocational training.

Tolerated foreigners can obtain a residence permit to work if you meet certain conditions.

The procedure is as follows:

  • Depending on the immigration authority and concerns, it may be possible to apply via the Internet. Find out if your immigration authority offers the electronic application for a residence permit.
  • If the application is only possible in person, make an appointment with the immigration authority. During the appointment, your application will be accepted and your evidence will be checked (bring it with you to the appointment). Your fingerprints will be taken for the production of an electronic residence permit (eAT card).
  • In the event of an electronic application, the immigration authority will contact you after receipt of your online application in order to make an appointment at the immigration office if necessary. During the appointment, your proofs will be checked (bring them to the appointment) and your fingerprints will be taken for the production of the electronic residence permit (eAT card).
  • If your request is met, the immigration authority will arrange for the eAT card to be produced.
  • After about six to eight weeks, you can pick up the eAT card from the immigration office.
  • The eAT card must always be taken up in person.

Contact the immigration authority.

  • You have a recognised and valid passport or passport replacement.
  • There is no interest in expulsion against you.
  • Your stay does not endanger or affect the interests of the Federal Republic of Germany.
  • In Germany, you have
    • completed qualified vocational training in a state-recognised or similarly regulated training occupation or university studies, or
    • foreign university degree, which is equivalent to a recognised or German university degree, held at least two consecutive periods of continuous employment which was appropriate to its degree, or
    • qualified employment without interruption for at least three years and within the last year they were not dependent on public funds, with the exception of services to cover the necessary costs of accommodation and heating.
  • You have sufficient knowledge of German (B1).
  • You can submit a specific job offer or contract. The "Declaration on employment" is used to prove the specific job offer.
  • You have sufficient living space for yourself and your family.
  • The Federal Employment Agency has approved the exercise of employment.
  • You can secure your livelihood and health insurance cover from your own resources without using public services.
  • Valid passport or passport replacement
  • Current biometric photo
  • Proof of completed training (e.B. university degree, certificates of completed vocational training)
  • In the case of foreign university degrees: decision on the recognition or comparability of the university degree, certificate assessment by the Central Office for Foreign Education (ZAB) where available
  • employment contract or the employment statement completed and signed by the employer (see "Additional information")
  • Ggfls. Evidence of activities carried out so far (e.B. employment certificates, employment contracts)
  • Proof of German language skills
  • Proof of subsistence (e.B. equity, blocked account, commitment)
  • Proof of your health insurance
  • Current registration certificate

In individual cases, the immigration authority may request further documents.

Residence permit issued: EUR 100.00

Under certain conditions, a fee reduction or exemption may be considered.


  • Additional charges may apply for the issuance of the residence permit in the form of an electronic residence permit, which can also be used as an electronic proof of identity.
  • The timing and form of charging and payment vary depending on the authority.
  • The residence permit is issued for a limited period of time for the duration of the employment. For holders of the training allowance, the residence permit is issued for two years.
  • Opposition period: one month

about six to eight weeks.

An appeal may be lodged with the authority referred to in the decision within one month of notification of the decision. The opposition may be filed in writing, in electronic form and in writing.

If the opposition is not complied with by the aliens authority, an action may be brought before the court referred to in the notice of opposition.

  • Online procedure possible in some cases
  • Written form required
  • Personal appearance required

The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

Ministry of the Interior and For Municipalities of the State of Brandenburg

No authority found