jump link

citizen service


You enter your place of residence or the place where you want to contact the administration or use the location sensing.


In the second step, you choose which information you really need.

Source: BUS Sachsen-Anhalt (Linie6PLus)

Apply for residence permits for refugees


If you have been granted refugee protection by the Federal Office for Migration and Refugees, you apply for a residence permit with the immigration authority responsible for you.

You must be granted a residence permit (legal entitlement) if you have been unchallenged as a foreign refugee by the Federal Office for Migration and Refugees. However, you may not be granted a residence permit if you have been deported on the basis of a particularly serious interest in expulsion (e.B.g. conviction for an intentional offence to a custodial or juvenile sentence of at least 2 years).

Until the residence permit is issued, your stay is deemed permitted by law.

The residence permit entitles you to work.

The residence permit is issued for 3 years and can be renewed thereafter.

They are subject to a residence requirement for 3 years for the Land in which they have been assigned to carry out the asylum procedure. The residence scheme does not apply or may be repealed if you, your spouse, registered partner or a minor child have taken up employment or vocational training or study subject to social security contributions. Employment must also be sustainable. This is accepted if your employment relationship is expected to last more than 3 months.

You are entitled to social benefits (basic security for jobseekers or basic insurance in old age or in the event of disability), child benefit, parental allowance and support for education

Family reunification for your spouse or minor children is possible. The aliens authority may, within its discretion, grant a residence permit to the following spouse or minor child of a recognised refugee, despite a lack of livelihood and lack of adequate housing. If the application for family reunification is made within 3 months of the issue of the residence permit and the establishment of the family partnership in a third country is not possible, there is a legal right to grant it.

You are entitled to participate in the integration course. When issuing the residence permit, the immigration authority shall at the same time determine of its own motion whether there is a right to participate in an integration course. If this is the case, it will provide you with a authorization certificate. At the same time, you will also receive a list of course holders in your area, where you can register by presenting your authorization certificate.

You must be granted a residence permit if you

  • have had a residence permit for 5 years,
  • if the Federal Office for Migration and Refugees (BAMF) has not informed that the conditions for revocation or withdrawal are met,
  • have sufficient knowledge of the German language (level A 2),
  • the livelihood for yourself and your family (community of needs) (at least 51%) from their own income.
  • Your stay does not endanger or affect the interests of the Federal Republic of Germany,
  • may engage in an activity and have all the necessary permits to do so,
  • You have basic knowledge of the legal and social order and the living conditions in the Federal Territory,
  • have sufficient living space for yourself and your family.

Can you make a living for yourself and your family mainly (at least 75%) from your own income you can secure and master the German language (equivalent to level C 1), you must already be granted the residence permit if you have been in possession of a residence permit for 3 years.

Are you a recognised refugee? Then you must apply for a residence permit.

As a rule, you must apply for your residence permit in person.

  • Arrange a preliminary meeting with the local immigration authority. You can also find out about the process of the application and which documents you have to submit and in what form on the respective website of the foreigners' website.
  • Your fingerprints will be taken during your appointment.

If your application is granted, the immigration authority instructs the Federal Printing Office to produce the electronic residence permit. The residence permit is in the form of a cheque card with additional electronic functions.

For the duration of the procedure until the residence permit is issued, please contact the competent immigration authority.

Contact the immigration authority.

  • They have been recognised as refugees by the Federal Office for Migration and Refugees
  • Existence of an application for a residence permit
  • There must be no grounds for refusal.
  • Application for a residence permit
  • Decision of the Federal Office for Migration and Refugees on refugee status under the Geneva Convention on Refugees
  • current biometric photo
  • Proof of identity, if available e.B. passport, ID card, birth certificate, marriage certificate, citizenship card

As a recognised refugee, you are exempt from the fee for issuing a residence permit.

If you are issued with a refugee passport, the fee from the age of 24 is 60 euros, up to the 24th year of life 38 euros.

Validity of the residence permit for 3 years,

Important note: Request the renewal or the granting of the residence permit in good time before the expiry of the validity.

As a rule, when applying for a residence permit, you are informed by the competent immigration authority of the duration of the procedure (approximately 6 to 8 weeks).

Note: The residence permit is issued as an electronic residence permit.

Section 25 (2) Sentence 1 1st Old. AufenthG

Section 3 (1) AsylG

Section 12a AufenthG

Section 9 AufenthG

Section 26 AufenthG

Section 48 EnenthV

Section 52 (3) OntheThV

Section 29 (2) AufenhtG

Section 44 AufenthG

Section 78 AufenthG

Section 78a AufenthG

Residence law

Receive from your local immigration authority.

Online procedure possible: no

Personal appearance required: yes

The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

Saxon Ministry of the Interior

No authority found