jump link

citizen service


You enter your place of residence or the place where you want to contact the administration or use the location sensing.


In the second step, you choose which information you really need.

Source: BUS Sachsen-Anhalt (Linie6PLus)

Apply for support for participation in extra-company vocational training at the employment agency


Extra-company vocational training is an alternative to training in a company if you have not yet found an apprenticeship and you have no perspective on how to proceed in the future.

Extra-company vocational training is also an option for you if your in-company or extra-company vocational training has ended prematurely and it is not currently possible to start in-company vocational training, even with additional support. You can then continue your training with a measure provider. The previous training period is taken into account - if possible.

It does not matter how old you are.

Your extra-company vocational training takes place in a recognized training occupation. Liberal professions and nursing professions cannot be trained outside the company.

Your training will take place with a training provider. The costs are borne by the Employment Agency. You will receive a training allowance and are covered by social insurance.

Under certain conditions, you can also receive a vocational training allowance.

For the theoretical part of the vocational training, you will attend a vocational school. Depending on the model, the practical part

  • generally takes place in the workshops of the training provider, including in-company training phases, or
  • generally at a training company with which the measure provider cooperates.

During the training with your training provider, you can, among other things

  • Tutoring in individual subjects or in learning the German language,
  • Preparation for class tests and exams,
  • support with everyday problems,
  • mediating discussions with your instructors, teachers and parents.


An experienced team of instructors, teachers and social pedagogues will accompany you throughout the entire time. Together with you, they develop a very personal support plan based on the training framework.

During the extra-company vocational training, your transition to in-company training is supported.

If there are certain reasons, you can also complete your training part-time.

As a young person with disabilities, you can also participate in extra-company vocational training if your individual support needs can be covered and you can participate in working life through the training.

You can take part in extra-company vocational training if

  • You have completed your compulsory schooling, regardless of whether you have a school-leaving certificate or not.
  • You have not yet found an apprenticeship and have no prospects for the future.
  • Your integration into an in-company vocational training program cannot be achieved with support that accompanies your training, for example with assisted training.
  • They have learning difficulties or are socially disadvantaged.

You belong to the group of persons with learning disabilities if

  • You have completed compulsory schooling but have not obtained a school leaving certificate,
  • you have attended a special school with a focus on learning, or
  • you are unlikely to be able to successfully complete an in-company training program despite having a secondary school diploma or equivalent.

You belong to the group of socially disadvantaged persons,

  • if there are considerable social, personal and/or psychological burdens and you are therefore unable to meet the requirements of in-company training.
  • Indications for this can be
  • Behavioral problems
  • Performance deficiencies (e.g. reading and spelling deficiencies)
  • Single parents
  • young people who have committed criminal offenses
  • young people with addiction problems
  • young people from a migrant background with language deficits or existing difficulties in settling into a foreign environment.

If you want to continue your training in an extra-company vocational training program because your in-company training relationship or another extra-company training relationship ended prematurely, you do not have to belong to the group of people with learning difficulties or social disadvantages. One of the prerequisites for this is that you can complete your training within the contractual period of the measure and that a free place is available.

Special requirements for foreigners:

As a foreigner, you can generally receive the funding, taking into account the prerequisites already listed, if you are allowed to train or work in Germany - unless legally prescribed exclusions from funding apply. You can find out about this from your local employment agency.

You are not entitled to participate in an extra-company vocational training program if you

  • came to Germany no more than 5 years ago to work, study or train,
  • are permitted or tolerated.

As a newly arriving eligible foreigner, you can generally be sponsored after a residence period of 3 months.

  • You will need your last school report and your curriculum vitae.
  • If you are a foreigner, you will need proof of your current residence permit.
  • If you do not have a school-leaving certificate but have completed compulsory education, you will need appropriate proof.
  • If necessary, further documents to be provided by you may result from the counseling interview with your career counselor at the Employment Agency.

There is no deadline. The extra-company vocational training programs usually start in August or September of a year. You should therefore apply to the Employment Agency for participation as early as possible before the start of the extra-company vocational training. Before the start of the training, you will conclude a training contract with the measure provider, which will also give you a fixed time frame for the duration of the training.

You can find the office of the Federal Employment Agency responsible for you using the office finder.

Forms available: No
Written form required: No
Informal application possible: Yes
Personal appearance required: Yes
Online services available: Yes

You can take part in extra-company vocational training after a personal interview at the employment agency, if you meet the eligibility requirements, if there is an appropriate measure and if there is a free place.

  • Contact your local employment agency and arrange an interview. You are welcome to use the website of the Federal Employment Agency to make an appointment for a personal consultation or to submit documents and evidence online conveniently and securely.
    • If you receive benefits according to SGB II, the job center is responsible for you.
    • You can find the office of the Federal Employment Agency or the Job Center that is responsible for you using the office finder. It depends on your place of residence.
  • On site, the vocational counselor at the employment agency will take your data and check whether you meet the requirements for participation in extra-company vocational training.
  • If this is the case, the vocational counselor of the Employment Agency will name the training provider suitable for your participation.
  • The employment agency will inform the training provider that you will start training with them.
  • Before the start of the training, you will be invited by the training provider to a coordination or admission interview.
  • You will conclude a training contract with the training provider.
  • If the practical part of your training takes place in a company, you will also conclude a cooperation agreement with your training provider and the company.
  • The measure provider will inform you in writing about your training start date and training location and what you need to get started.

Federal Ministry of Labor and Social Affairs (BMAS)

The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

No authority found