jump link

citizen service


You enter your place of residence or the place where you want to contact the administration or use the location sensing.


In the second step, you choose which information you really need.

Source: BUS Sachsen-Anhalt (Linie6PLus)

Apply for support for participation in an off-company vocational training


Vocational training in an off-the-job institution is an alternative to training in a company if you have not yet found training and you have no prospects of how to proceed in the future.
Vocational training in an external institution is also an option for you if your in-company or off-company vocational training has been completed prematurely. You can then continue the training in an external institution. The previous training period will be taken into account – if possible.
It doesn't really matter how old you are.
Your off-the-job training takes place in a recognised training occupation. Liberal professions and nursing professions cannot be trained outside the company.
Your training takes place at an educational institution. The costs are covered by the Employment Agency or the Job Centre. They receive a training allowance and are covered by social security.
Under certain conditions, you can also receive vocational training allowance.

For the theoretical part of vocational training, you will attend a vocational school. Your practical part will take place depending on the model

  • in principle in the workshops of the training provider instead of including in-company training phases or
  • in principle, at a training company with which the training provider cooperates.

During the training at your training provider, you can, among other things:

  • Tutoring in individual subjects or learning the German language,
  • preparation for classwork and exams,
  • support for everyday problems,
  • mediating conversations with your trainers, teachers and parents

An experienced team of trainers, teachers and social pedagogues will accompany you throughout the entire period. Together with you, you will develop a very personal support plan on the basis of the training framework plan.
During the off-company vocational training, your transition to in-company training is promoted.
If there are certain reasons, you can also complete your training part-time.
Even as a young person with disabilities, you can take part in an off-the-job training if your individual support needs can be covered and you can participate in working life through the training.

If you do not get a training place in a company, you can, under certain conditions, take part in an off-company vocational training course with a training provider.

You can take part in an off-site vocational training after a personal interview with the Employment Agency or the Job Centre, if the eligibility requirements are met, if a corresponding measure and a free place are available.

  • Contact the responsible employment agency or the responsible job centre and arrange an interview.
    • If you receive unemployment benefit II, the job centre is responsible for you. Otherwise, the Employment Agency is responsible for you. The department of the Federal Employment Agency or the Job Centre responsible for you can be found via the department finder. It depends on where you live.
  • On site, the career counsellor of the Employment Agency or the integration specialist of the job center records your data and checks whether you meet the requirements for participation in an off-the-job vocational training.
  • If this is the case, the career counsellor of the Employment Agency or the integration specialist of the job centre will designate the training provider suitable for your participation.
  • The Employment Agency or the Job Centre informs the training provider that you will start an apprenticeship with him.
  • Before the start of training, you will be invited by the training provider to a coordination or admission interview.
  • You conclude a training contract with the training provider.
  • If the practical part of your training takes place in a company, you also conclude a cooperation agreement with your training provider and the company.
  • The training provider informs you in writing about your start of training and place of training and what you need to start.

You may take part in off-the-job vocational training if:

  • you have fulfilled your compulsory schooling, whether with or without a school leaving certificate.
  • They have not yet found an education and have no prospects as to how to proceed in the future.
  • Their integration into in-company vocational training cannot be achieved with support during training, for example with assisted training.
  • They are impaired in learning or socially disadvantaged.

The group of persons with learning impaired persons includes if:

  • you have completed compulsory education but do not have a school leaving certificate,
  • you have attended a special school with a focus on learning or
  • Despite completing lower secondary school or comparable school leaving certificate, you are unlikely to be able to successfully complete in-company training.

The group of people of the socially disadvantaged includes you,

  • if there are significant social, personal and/or psychological problems and you are therefore not up to the requirements of in-company training.
  • Indications for this can be:
    • Behavioral problems
    • Performance weaknesses (for example, reading and spelling weaknesses)
    • single parent
    • delinquent young people
    • young people with an addiction problem
    • young people with a migration background with language deficits or existing difficulties in settling in in a foreign environment.

If you want to continue your training in an off-the-job training because your company or another non-company training relationship has been terminated prematurely, you do not have to belong to the group of people with learning impairments or social disadvantaged. The prerequisite for this is, among other things, that you can finish your training within the contract period of the measure and that a free place is available.

Special requirements for foreigners:
As a foreigner, you can in principle receive the funding, taking into account the requirements already listed, if you are allowed to do an apprenticeship or work in Germany – unless legally prescribed funding exclusions apply. You can ask your responsible employment agency or your responsible job centre for this.
You are not entitled to participate in an off-the-job vocational training if you

  • are illegally present in the federal territory,
  • came to Germany a maximum of 5 years ago to work, study or do an apprenticeship,
  • are permitted or tolerated.

As a newly arriving eligible foreigner, you can in principle be funded after a stay period of 3 months.

  • You will need your last school certificate and CV.
  • As a foreigner, you need proof of the current residence permit.
  • If you do not have a school leaving certificate, but have completed compulsory schooling, you will need proof of this.
  • If necessary, further documents to be provided by you may result from the consultation with your career counsellor of the Employment Agency or the integration specialists of the job center.

There are no costs for you.

Off-site vocational training usually begins in August or September of a year. You should therefore audition for participation as early as possible before the start of the off-the-job training at the Employment Agency or in the Job Centre.

Before starting the training, you conclude a training contract with the training provider, which also gives you a fixed time frame for the duration of the training.

The admission requirements are usually clarified in the consultation. If your career counsellor or integration specialist is unable to determine whether you can take part in an off-the-job vocational training course, ask how long the clarification will take. Basically, the processing takes no more than 3 months.


  • Forms: none
  • Online procedure possible: no
  • Written form required: no
  • Personal appearance necessary: yes

The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

Federal Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs

No authority found