jump link

citizen service


You enter your place of residence or the place where you want to contact the administration or use the location sensing.


In the second step, you choose which information you really need.

Source: BUS Sachsen-Anhalt (Linie6PLus)

Apply for funding for continuing vocational training at the job centre


General promotion of continuing education with the education voucher:

With an education voucher, the job centre can cover all or part of the costs of your further vocational training. Before you receive an education voucher, the responsible job centre will check with you whether further training is necessary for you.

You can redeem the education voucher at an educational institution of your choice if it is approved for the promotion of continuing education.

The training measure itself must also be approved and match the education voucher. The education voucher stipulates, among other things:

  • the educational goal,
  • the duration until the educational goal is achieved,
  • the contents of the qualification,
  • the regional scope, and
  • the period of validity during which you must have redeemed the education voucher and started your participation.

The education voucher is generally valid at your place of residence and in places that you can reach daily from home.

The training costs that the job center pays for you usually include:

  • Course costs and costs for the aptitude assessment,
  • travel expenses,
  • costs for external accommodation and meals,
  • Costs for the care of children.

For further training courses that begin before the end of 31.12.2023 and lead to a degree in recognised training occupations with a duration of at least 2 years, you will receive a further training bonus of EUR 1,500 for successful participation in the final examination. If the law or regulation provides for an intermediate examination, you will receive EUR 1,000 for passing.

Subsequent acquisition of the lower secondary school leaving certificate:

Under certain conditions, the subsequent acquisition of the lower secondary school leaving certificate or an equivalent qualification is also promoted.

Support for employees without a vocational qualification or with a non-usable vocational qualification (low-skilled):

If you do not yet have a vocational qualification or have not worked in your learned profession for more than 4 years and can no longer practice the previously learned profession due to occupational alienation, you will be supported by taking over the costs of further training if you participate in further training measures for the subsequent acquisition of a vocational qualification.
The following are included in these 4 years:

  • Periods of employment in unskilled and semi-skilled work
  • Unemployment
  • Times for caring for relatives
  • Child-rearing times

If you are still in need of help according to SGB II during the training period, you will continue to receive your unemployment benefit II during the further training.

Acquisition of basic skills:

If you still lack basic skills in the areas of reading, writing, mathematics or information and communication technologies for further training with which you want to obtain a vocational qualification, the job centre can also promote further training in these areas under certain conditions.

Support for employed employees:

The Employment Agency is responsible for this type of funding. However, the responsible job centre can advise you on the further training of employees, in particular if they work in occupations that can be replaced by technology or are otherwise affected by structural change or if they are seeking further training in a bottleneck occupation, i.e. in a profession in which there is a shortage of skilled workers.

In principle, your employer must contribute to the course costs. He can also get wage subsidies while you are doing further training. How large the share is depends on the size of the company:

  • Subsidies for remuneration:
    • up to 25 percent for companies with more than 250 employees,
    • up to 50 percent for small and medium-sized enterprises (10 to 249 employees) and
    • up to 75 percent for micro-enterprises (less than 10 employees).
  • Subsidies for the course costs:
    • 100 percent in micro-enterprises with up to 9 employees,
    • up to 50 percent in companies with up to 249 employees,
    • up to 25 percent in companies with more than 250 employees,
    • up to 15 percent for large companies with 2,500 or more employees,
    • up to 100 percent in small and medium-sized enterprises (up to 249 employees) for older employees (from the age of 45) or employees with a severe disability.
  • In addition, up to 15 percent higher subsidies for the course costs and the salary in the presence of a collective agreement or a company agreement for professional qualification or in the case of special training needs.
  • Assumption of the full course costs and remuneration subsidy up to 100 percent if low-skilled people participate in further training with the aim of obtaining a vocational qualification.

If you are unemployed or threatened with unemployment or want to catch up on a vocational qualification, you can only initiate your further training support together with your integration specialist:

  • To do this, make an appointment at your job center.
  • If you receive unemployment benefit II, the job center that is responsible for your place of residence. In a personal interview, it will be clarified whether you need additional qualifications in order to find a job as quickly as possible.
  • Your integration specialist will then check whether you meet the requirements for funding.
  • Under certain conditions, the medical service or the professional psychological service may also be involved in determining suitability.
  • Education voucher:
    • Your integration specialist will usually issue you with the education voucher directly during the consultation.
    • You choose a suitable course yourself and register.
  • Before the start of the measure, the training provider confirms your admission to the course on the education voucher and informs the job centre. The job centre then checks whether the course matches the education voucher and whether you meet the admission requirements. If this is the case, it is possible to promote further training and you can start further education.
  • You should already start applying for suitable job offers during your training.
  • If you become ill during the course, you must inform the job centre as well as the training provider.
  • Even during the training, you will continue to be looked after by your responsible integration specialist and discuss the further steps of your job search with them, especially before the end of the further training measure.

If you are in employment, discuss your training needs with your employer, who will then contact the Employment Agency to discuss how to proceed. Alternatively, you can contact your integration specialist yourself at the job centre.

The costs for your further training can usually be covered if

  • you have taken part in a consultation by the job centre,
  • the further training is necessary to end your unemployment, to make up for a missing vocational qualification or to avert an imminent unemployment
  • the acquisition of enhanced vocational skills improves individual employability and makes continuing training fit for the labour market, and
  • the training measure and the training provider are approved for the promotion of continuing training.

Funding is also possible for employees under certain conditions if

  • continuing training goes beyond short-term adaptation training exclusively related to the workplace,
  • the vocational qualification is usually at least 4 years ago,
  • in the last 4 years before the application was submitted, you have not participated in further vocational training funded by the Employment Agency or the Job Centre,
  • the training is carried out outside the company or by an approved institution in the establishment,
  • takes more than 120 hours,
  • the institution and the measure are approved, and
  • You are doing activities that can be replaced by technologies or are otherwise affected by structural change or you want to learn a bottleneck profession.
  • Curriculum vitae
  • Testimonies

The education voucher is usually issued directly in the consultation.

Forms available: No
Written form required: No
Informal application possible: Yes
Personal appearance required: Yes
Online services available: No

The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

Federal Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs (BMAS)

No authority found