jump link

citizen service


You enter your place of residence or the place where you want to contact the administration or use the location sensing.


In the second step, you choose which information you really need.

Source: BUS Sachsen-Anhalt (Linie6PLus)

Apply for a birth certificate for foreign-born children


With a birth certificate, you can prove the birth of a person, his first and last names, as well as the details of the parents. You can have a birth certificate issued on the basis of an existing birth register. If the place of birth is outside the Federal Republic of Germany, the birth may be registered at the registry office I in Berlin.

Civil status certificates contain personal data, so their issuance is subject to data protection restrictions.

  • Eligible applicants (minimum age: 16 years):
    • the person to whom the birth certificate refers
    • the spouse or civil partner (within the meaning of the Registered Civil Partnership Act)
    • Ancestors and descendants of the person concerned
    • Siblings with a legitimate interest
  • Other persons, including close relatives such as aunts and uncles, only receive a certificate if they can credibly demonstrate a legal interest (for example, by means of a letter from the probate court).

To apply for a birth certificate, you will need:

  • in the case of an application by a representative:
    • written power of attorney of the authorized person,
    • their identity card or passport (original or certified copy)
    • and the identity card or passport of the person representing
  • certain persons must also credibly demonstrate a legal or legitimate interest.

Contact the German mission abroad.

If you have not yet been resident in Germany, the Registry Office I in Berlin is responsible.

  • Forms: no
  • Online service available: Yes
  • Written form required: no
  • Personal appearance required: no
  • In principle, a certificate can also be applied for in analogue form, but for reasons of speeding up the processing process, it is strongly recommended to use the online application.
  • In addition to you, a person you trust may also order the certificate for you. A written power of attorney is required for this.
  • When you send the certificate, you will receive a fee notice.

Senate Department of the Interior, Digitization and Sport Berlin, Department 1 - Constitutional and Administrative Law

The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

No authority found