jump link

citizen service


You enter your place of residence or the place where you want to contact the administration or use the location sensing.


In the second step, you choose which information you really need.

Source: BUS Sachsen-Anhalt (Linie6PLus)

Apply for a post-certification of a marriage concluded abroad


A marriage concluded abroad is recognized here if the regulations applicable in the country of marriage have been observed and the marriage was concluded before a legally authorized person. Proof of this is generally the marriage certificate. If the document was not written in German, a translation is required in many cases. have them subsequently certified in a German marriage register. There is no obligation to apply for post-certification. But of course this has advantages: You have the possibility to have a marriage certificate issued by us at any time if your foreign certificate is lost and you have a German certificate as proof of your marriage, which facilitates dealings with authorities and other institutions.

Contact the registry office 1 in Berlin.

  • The marriage was concluded abroad and at least one of the partners has German citizenship.
  • None of the partners has a domicile or habitual residence in Germany.
  • Marriage certificate (marriage certificate) about the marriage concluded abroad, if necessary with certification by the competent foreign authority (apostille) or legalization by the German mission abroad
  • valid identity card, passport or travel document
  • if applicable, naturalization certificate, citizenship card
  • At the birth of the spouses in Germany:

certified copies of the birth registers from the registry offices of the places of birth.

  • At the birth of the spouses abroad:

the birth certificates with certification by the competent foreign authority (apostille) or legalization by the German mission abroad

  • Has a spouse been married before:

certified copy from the marriage register of the last previous marriage with a note of dissolution.

Alternatively or in the case of a previous marriage abroad: proof of the conclusion and dissolution of all previous marriages - for example, marriage certificates, death certificates, all divorce decrees (complete and with a note from the court as to when the judgment is final ("legal force note"))

if applicable, recognition of the foreign divorce by the President of the Higher Regional Court

  • Had a spouse ever established a registered civil partnership:
  • Proof of the establishment and dissolution of all civil partnerships
  • Translations of all documents in a foreign language by translators sworn in in Germany
  • In individual cases, further documents may be required.
  • 89,00 EUR Notarization of marriage abroad
  • 33,00 EUR Declaration on the use of names, if only German law is to be observed
  • 57,00 EUR Declaration on the use of the name, if foreign law must also be observed
  • 38,00 EUR if necessary alignment of names
  • 30,00 EUR if necessary submission of an insurance on oath instead of
  • 12,00 EUR Issuance of a marriage certificate
  • EUR 6.00 for each additional marriage certificate applied for at the same time
  • A marriage concluded abroad can be re-certified, the time of the marriage does not matter.
  • Only the spouses themselves can submit the application for certification of the marriage during their lifetime.
  • After the death of both spouses, their parents and children are also entitled to apply
  • Art. 11 para. 1 EGBGB
  • Art. 13 para. 14 EGBGB
  • Art. 17b EGBGB
  • § 34 PStG
  • § 39 PStG
  • § 41 PStG

The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

  • Senator for the Interior, Department 23 – Civil Status Law, of the State of Bremen
No authority found