jump link

citizen service


You enter your place of residence or the place where you want to contact the administration or use the location sensing.


In the second step, you choose which information you really need.

Source: BUS Sachsen-Anhalt (Linie6PLus)

Applying for a residence permit to look for a job after completing your studies


As a foreign graduate of a German university, you can apply for a residence permit to look for a job after completing your studies.

The employment you are looking for must be one that you are qualified to do on the basis of your qualifications. The desired gainful activity may also be self-employed.

This residence permit can be issued for up to 18 months. The residence permit serves only the one-time purpose of seeking employment and cannot be extended beyond this maximum period.

While looking for work, any gainful employment is permitted and does not require a permit.

  • You have a recognized and valid identity document (for example, passport or passport substitute).
  • You have a valid residence permit for the purpose of studying (§ 16b or § 16c of the Residence Act).
  • You have successfully completed your studies in Germany and the validity period of your residence permit will expire in the near future.
  • You can secure your livelihood and health insurance coverage without using public benefits.
  • There is no interest in expulsion against you.

Your stay does not endanger or impair the interests of the Federal Republic of Germany.

  • Recognized and valid identity document (for example, passport or passport substitute)
  • Visa, if required for entry
  • Current biometric photo in passport format (45 x 35 mm)
  • Valid residence permit for the purpose of studying (§ 16b or § 16c of the Residence Act)
  • Proof of successful completion of studies in Germany
  • Proof of securing one's livelihood (e.g. employment contract, equity, blocked account, declaration of commitment)
  • Proof of health insurance coverage
  • Current registration certificate

In individual cases, the Foreigners' Registration Office may require less or further proof.

Fee 98,00 EUR


Additional fees may apply for the issuance of the residence permit in the form of an electronic residence permit, which can also be used as an electronic proof of identity.

The application should be received by the Foreigners' Registration Office no later than 8 a.m. before your valid residence permit expires.

Period of validity (for fixed time): maximum 18

The residence permit is issued for a limited period of 18 months. The extension of the residence permit beyond this maximum period is excluded.

The production of the electronic residence title by Bundesdruckerei takes about 4 to 6 weeks.

  • Appeal against the decision of the Foreigners' Registration Office
  • Action before the court named in the notice of opposition if the objection is not complied with

The immigration authority responsible for the place of residence of the applicant.

Forms available: No

Written form required: Yes

Informal application possible: No

Personal appearance required: Yes

  • Find out whether your immigration authority allows you to submit your application online or has a special application form.
  • If the application is only possible in person, make an appointment at the Foreigners' Registration Office. In the case of an online application, the Foreigners' Registration Office will contact you after receipt of your application to make an appointment.
  • During the appointment, your identity and documents will be checked (please bring your documents, preferably original, to the appointment).
  • If your request is granted, your fingerprints will be taken for the production of a new electronic residence title (eATKarte). The Foreigners' Registration Office commissions Bundesdruckerei to produce the eAT card. After completion, you will receive information and can pick up the residence permit at the responsible office. The eAT card must always be picked up in person.
  • If your application is rejected, you will receive a rejection notice.

Ministry of the Interior and Municipal Affairs of the State of Brandenburg

The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

No authority found