jump link

citizen service


You enter your place of residence or the place where you want to contact the administration or use the location sensing.


In the second step, you choose which information you really need.

Source: BUS Sachsen-Anhalt (Linie6PLus)

Applying for a residence permit for qualified tolerated persons for the purpose of employment extension


You can apply for the extension of your residence permit for qualified tolerated persons issued for the purpose of employment if you want to continue to work and continue to meet the other requirements. In principle, the same conditions must be met for the extension of the residence permit as when it was first issued. In particular, you must be able to secure your livelihood and health insurance coverage from your own resources without using public services.

To process your application, the Foreigners' Registration Office usually involves the Federal Employment Agency, which checks the working conditions. After two years of possession of the residence permit and if during this period an employment corresponding to the professional qualification has been exercised, access to the labour market is no longer subject to any restrictions.

In the event of an extension, your residence permit will again be limited in time. As a rule, the residence permit cannot be extended if this has already been ruled out when the residence permit was issued or last extended.

  • Find out whether your immigration office makes it possible to apply online or provides a special application form.
  • If the application is only possible in person, make an appointment at the Foreigners' Registration Office. In the case of online applications, the Foreigners' Registration Office will contact you upon receipt of your application to make an appointment.
  • During the appointment, your identity and your documents will be checked (please bring your documents, if possible in the original, to the appointment).
  • If your application is granted, your fingerprints will be taken for the production of a new electronic residence permit (eATCard). The Foreigners' Registration Office commissions Bundesdruckerei to produce the eAT card. After completion, you will receive information and can pick up the residence permit at the responsible office. The eAT card must always be collected in person.
  • If your application is rejected, you will receive a rejection notice.

The immigration authority responsible for the place of residence of the applicant is responsible for processing the application.

In principle, you must meet the same conditions for the extension of the residence permit as when the residence permit was issued for the first time, i.e.

  • You have a recognized and valid identity document (for example, passport or passport replacement).
  • You have in the Federal territory
    • completed qualified vocational training in a state-recognised or similarly regulated training occupation or university studies, or
    • with a recognised foreign university degree or a foreign university degree comparable to a German university degree, employment appropriate to their degree for at least two consecutive years, or
    • have been in unskilled employment without interruption for at least three years and have not been dependent on public funds within the last year (with the exception of benefits to cover the necessary costs of accommodation and heating).
  • You have sufficient German language skills at least at level B1 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages.
  • You can submit a specific job offer or a contract (proof of the specific job offer is provided by the form "Declaration of employment").
  • You have sufficient living space for yourself and your family.
  • The Federal Employment Agency has agreed to the exercise of employment.
  • You can secure your livelihood and health insurance coverage from your own resources without using public services.
  • There is no interest in expulsion against you.

Your stay does not endanger or adversely affect the interests of the Federal Republic of Germany

In principle, the extension of your residence permit requires the presentation of the same documents as for the first issue:

  • Recognized and valid identity document (e.g. passport or passport replacement)
  • Current biometric photo in passport format (45 x 35 mm)
  • Proof of completed training (e.B university degree, certificates of completed vocational training)
  • For foreign university degrees:
    • Decision on the recognition or comparability of the university degree, if available
    • Certificate assessment of the Central Office for Foreign Education (ZAB), if available
  • Employment contract or the "Declaration of Employment" form completed and signed by the employer (see forms).
  • Proof of previous activities (e.B. employment references, employment contracts), if available
  • Proof of German language skills
  • Proof of livelihood security (e.g. equity, blocked account, declaration of commitment)
  • Proof of health insurance coverage
  • Current registration certificate

In individual cases, the Foreigners' Registration Office may require less or more evidence.

The following fees apply:

  • 96.00 for a further stay of up to three months
  • 93.00 for a further stay of more than three months


Additional fees may apply for the issuance of the residence permit in the form of the electronic residence permit, which can also be used as electronic proof of identity.

Application deadline:

At the latest 8 before the expiry of your current residence permit, the application should be received by the Foreigners' Registration Office

Duration: maximum 2

Objection period:

1 month

Duration: approx. 8

Note for further information on the processing time:

The production of the electronic residence permit by Bundesdruckerei takes about 4 to 6 weeks.

  • Appeal against the decision of the Foreigners' Registration Office
  • Action before the court referred to in the notice of opposition if the opposition is not complied with

Forms available: Yes

Written form required: Yes

Informal application possible: No

Personal appearance required: Yes

The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

Ministry of the Interior and Municipal Affairs of the State of Brandenburg

No authority found