jump link

citizen service


You enter your place of residence or the place where you want to contact the administration or use the location sensing.


In the second step, you choose which information you really need.

Source: BUS Sachsen-Anhalt (Linie6PLus)

Applying for a residence permit to look for a job for skilled workers with vocational training Extension


You have already received a residence permit to look for a job for skilled workers. This residence permit can be issued for a total of up to six months. If this 6-month period has not yet been exhausted, you can apply for an extension of your residence permit - provided that you continue to secure your livelihood.

With the residence permit to look for a job, you can exercise a trial employment, which the qualification qualifies, for up to ten hours a week.

  • Find out whether your immigration office makes it possible to apply online or provides a special application form.
  • If the application is only possible in person, make an appointment at the Foreigners' Registration Office. In the case of online applications, the Foreigners' Registration Office will contact you upon receipt of your application to make an appointment.
  • During the appointment, your identity and your documents will be checked (please bring your documents, if possible in the original, to the appointment).
  • If your application is granted, your fingerprints will be taken for the production of a new electronic residence permit (eATCard). The Foreigners' Registration Office commissions Bundesdruckerei to produce the eAT card. After completion, you will receive information and can pick up the residence permit at the responsible office. The eAT card must always be collected in person.

If your application is rejected, you will receive a rejection notice.

The immigration authority responsible for the place of residence of the applicant is responsible for processing the application.

For the extension of the residence permit, you must meet the same conditions as when the residence permit was issued for the first time, i.e.

  • You have a recognized and valid identity document (for example, passport or passport replacement).
  • You own
    • a domestic qualified vocational training or
    • an equivalent foreign professional qualification.
  • The subject of your job search must be the exercise of a qualified employment for which you are qualified on the basis of your professional qualifications.
  • You have German language skills that correspond to the desired activity. As a rule, German language skills are required at least at level B1 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages.
  • If employment in a regulated – for example medical – profession is sought, a professional license must already be granted or promised.
  • You can secure your livelihood and health insurance coverage from your own resources without using public services.
  • The maximum duration of the residence permit of six months has not yet been exhausted.
  • There is no interest in expulsion against you.

Your stay does not endanger or adversely affect the interests of the Federal Republic of Germany.

In principle, the extension of your residence permit requires the presentation of the same documents as for the first issue:

  • Recognized and valid identity document (e.g. passport or passport replacement)
  • Current biometric photo in passport format (45 x 35 mm)
  • Original training certificate / certificate of successful completion of vocational training
  • In the case of a foreign professional qualification:
    • Training certificate / training certificate together with German translation
    • Decision on the determination of equivalence of the foreign professional qualification with a domestic qualified vocational training, if available
  • In the case of regulated professions: licence to practise a profession or a commitment to grant the profession
  • Proof of German language skills
  • Proof of livelihood security (e.g. equity, blocked account, declaration of commitment)
  • Proof of health insurance coverage
  • Current registration certificate

In individual cases, the Foreigners' Registration Office may require less or more evidence.


  • 96.00 for a further stay of up to three months
  • 93.00 for a further stay of more than three months

Additional fees may apply for the issuance of the residence permit in the form of the electronic residence permit, which can also be used as electronic proof of identity. Stay of more than three months

At the latest 8 before the expiry of your current residence permit, the application should be received by the Foreigners' Registration Office.

Period of validity: maximum 6 months

The residence permit is issued for a maximum of six months. An extension is only possible if this 6-month period has not yet been exhausted.

Objection period: 1 month

Duration: approx. 8

Note for further information on the processing time:

The production of the electronic residence permit by Bundesdruckerei takes about 4 to 6 weeks

  • Appeal against the decision of the Foreigners' Registration Office
  • Action before thecourt referred to in the notice of objection if the opposition is not complied with

Forms available: No

Written form required: Yes

Informal application possible: No

Personal appearance required: Yes

An extension of the residence permit beyond the maximum period of six months is excluded if no adequate gainful employment could be found within the validity period. A residence permit to look for a job for qualified specialists with vocational training can only be reissued if the foreigner has stayed abroad for at least as long as he has previously resided in Germany after his departure.

The residence permit does not entitle you to pursue a self-employed activity.

The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

Ministry of the Interior and Municipal Affairs of the State of Brandenburg,

No authority found