jump link

citizen service


You enter your place of residence or the place where you want to contact the administration or use the location sensing.


In the second step, you choose which information you really need.

Source: BUS Sachsen-Anhalt (Linie6PLus)

Applying for recognition as a specialist veterinarian with professional qualifications from third countries


The qualification as a specialist veterinarian must be recognised in Germany. This means that you need recognition if you want to use the title "specialist veterinarian" for your specialisation in the selected federal state.

With your training as a specialist veterinarian, you have acquired a medical specialisation in addition to your qualification as a veterinarian abroad. To work as a veterinarian in Germany, you first need a license to practice medicine or a professional license. In order to be able to work as a specialist veterinarian in Germany, you must also apply for recognition of your further training as a specialist veterinarian. This allows you to use the title "specialist veterinarian" in your respective specialisation.

Note: You may only use the designation for your specialization if there is a corresponding continuing education title in Germany.

The permission will be granted by the competent State Chamber of Veterinarians after checking your documents and requirements.

  • You must already have a state professional license (approbation) as a veterinarian valid in Germany or a professional license.
  • You must prove the equivalence of your professional qualification as a specialist veterinarian.

Quarter of an hour or part thereof: EUR 15.00

  • Contradiction
  • Further information on how to file an objection can be found in the notification of your application
  • Action before the Administrative Court

Veterinary Association of Saxony-Anhalt

Forms available: No

Applications must be submitted in writing and in German. Personal appearance may be arranged.

Before you submit the application, you must already have a license to practice veterinary medicine or a professional license in Germany.

You apply for recognition of your continuing education title as a specialist veterinarian at the competent Landtierärztekammer:

  • First, submit your application and the required documents to the veterinary chamber of the federal state in which you would like to work.
  • If necessary, you will be asked to submit missing documents.
  • The competent authority will check whether your professional qualification is equivalent. The professional qualification is equivalent if there are no significant differences between your foreign professional qualification and the German professional qualification.
  • If your qualification as a specialist veterinarian is recognised, you can use the specialist title in Germany. You will receive a notification.

If significant differences are detected, the equivalence of your qualification as a specialist veterinarian will not be certified:

  • You will receive a justification.
  • You can make a compensatory measure to prove the lack of knowledge.
  • If you successfully complete the compensatory measure, you will receive the recognition. You may then use the designation "Specialist veterinarian" for your specialisation

You can take legal action against the decision of the competent authority within a certain period of time (for example, file an objection). The decision will then be reviewed. Details can be found in the information on the right of appeal at the end of your decision. We recommend that you first talk to the competent authority before taking legal action against the decision.

Ministry of Economic Affairs, Tourism, Agriculture and Forestry Saxony-Anhalt

Federal Institute for Vocational Education and Training

The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

No authority found