jump link

citizen service


You enter your place of residence or the place where you want to contact the administration or use the location sensing.


In the second step, you choose which information you really need.

Source: BUS Sachsen-Anhalt (Linie6PLus)

Apply for parental allowance


The parental allowance is a support benefit for parents after the birth of a child. The parental allowance replaces part of the lost income if you want to be there for your child after birth and interrupt or restrict your professional work.

If your child was born after 1 July 2015, you have the option of choosing between receiving the previous parental allowance (basic parental allowance) and receiving parental allowance plus or combining the two. As a parent, you can decide for yourself who takes advantage of the parental allowance for what period of time. In the application, you must specify for which months of your child's life you would like to apply for parental allowance and which reference option (basic parental allowance / parental allowance plus) you choose. Retroactive payments are only granted for the last 3 months of life before receipt of the application.

  • Basic parental allowance can only be received within the first 14 months of the child's life.
  • ElterngeldPlus can also be received beyond the first 14 months of life.

The basic parental allowance is also paid to parents who are not gainfully employed. The basic parental allowance for inactive persons is at least 300.00 euros per month.

You can apply for parental allowance if you

  • have their domicile or habitual residence in Germany,

  • live with your child in a household and look after and educate him or herself,

  • have no or no full gainful employment (max. 30 hours per week) after birth,

  • in the last completed assessment period, a taxable income did not exceed 250,000 euros. For parent couples, the limit is 500,000 euros.

You can only apply for parental allowance after the birth of your child.

  • application form

  • Birth certificate or birth certificate of your child

  • Proof of income

  • Certificate of receipt of maternity benefit

  • Certificate of employer subsidy

  • Confirmation of working hours in the case of employment during the receipt of parental allowance

Information can be obtained from the responsible parental allowance office.

In the case of complaints for which the parental allowance office could not remedy, the respective supervisory authority of the federal state can be addressed.

The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

Service Team BMFSFJ - Topic Group A

No authority found