jump link

citizen service


You enter your place of residence or the place where you want to contact the administration or use the location sensing.


In the second step, you choose which information you really need.

Source: BUS Sachsen-Anhalt (Linie6PLus)

Recognising foreign professional qualifications


You have acquired your professional qualification abroad and want to work in your profession in Germany? Depending on your profession, you can or must have your foreign degree recognised.

For recognition, the competent authority checks on the basis of your certificates whether or to what extent your foreign qualification corresponds to a German qualification for the profession you have chosen. This review is based on defined formal criteria, such as the content and duration of the training. Your relevant professional experience will be taken into account as well as other relevant qualifications. For academic qualifications, you can apply for an assessment by the Central Office for Foreign Education (ZAB).

Further information on the German professions, on the recognition procedures and also on the responsible bodies can also be found on the portal "Recognition in Germany". This Internet portal provides quick and easy answers to questions about recognition, for example:

  • Do I have to have my professional qualification recognised?    
  • Is it worth the recognition for me?
  • Can I submit the application? Do I have a formal right to it?
  • Which authority do I have to contact?
  • What does the procedure look like?
  • Which documents are required? What form must the documents take?
  • How long does the procedure take?
  • How much does the procedure cost?  
  • Which laws are relevant to my case?
  • In professions for which a permit is required, the recognition procedure can also be carried out via the point of single contact (currently within the scope of the EU Services Directive, from 18 January 2016 also in the full scope of the EU Professional Recognition Directive). NOTE: The deadline for submitting the application begins with the confirmation by the competent authority that the required documents are complete

Telephone advice on recognition in German and English can be found at the

Hotline "Working and Living in Germany"

Phone: +49 30 1815-1111


Mon 09:00 am - 03:00 pm
Tue 09:00 am - 03:00 pm
Wed 09:00 am - 03:00 pm
Thu 09:00 am - 03:00 pm
Fri 09:00 am - 03:00 pm


Point of Single Contact (currently within the scope of the EU Services Directive, from 18 January 2016 also within the full scope of the EU Professional Recognition Directive)



Authority number 115


Phone: 115

Mon 08:00 am - 06:00 pm
Tue 08:00 am - 06:00 pm
Wed 08:00 am - 06:00 pm
Thu 08:00 am - 06:00 pm
Fri 08:00 am - 06:00 pm




As a rule, you will need the following documents:

  • Tabular list of your completed training courses and gainful employment
  • Indication of your current place of residence
  • Proof of identity
  • Evidence of formal qualifications obtained abroad
  • Evidence of relevant professional experience or other evidence of formal qualifications, where necessary to establish equivalence
  • Declaration of whether and to which body you have already submitted an application for a declaration of equivalence
  • if applicable, decision on the determination of equivalence

Depending on the profession, further documents may be required. Please contact the competent authority.As a rule, you must submit all documents in the original or as a certified copy. As a rule, all documents must be submitted in German. If the documents are written in another language, you may also need a translation from a publicly appointed translator. Please contact the competent authority.

There are no deadlines to be observed. The deadline for submitting the application begins with the confirmation by the competent authority that the required documents are complete.

Federal or state law governing the exercise of the respective profession shall apply. Information on this can also be found in the portal "Recognition in Germany".

In addition, depending on the profession, other laws may apply. Please contact the competent authority.

Applications and forms can be found on the website of the competent authority.

The service points of the  network "Integration through Qualification" (IQ Network) will be happy to advise and accompany you before, during and after the recognition procedure.

The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

MW LSA, Unit 44I, Dieckmann

No authority found