jump link

citizen service


You enter your place of residence or the place where you want to contact the administration or use the location sensing.


In the second step, you choose which information you really need.

Source: BUS Sachsen-Anhalt (Linie6PLus)

Apply for financial support: Student BAföG


BAföG is the abbreviation for the Federal Training Promotion Act. BAföG is colloquially referred to as the support you can receive under this law. The funding is available to you for financing

  • your studies,
  • under certain conditions of a prescribed internship within the scope of your studies.

To receive the monthly grant, you must meet a number of requirements. The most important are:

  • Your parents and/or partner earn comparatively little.
  • You have no or no income.
  • Your assets are less than the €8,200 allowance.
  • You are studying full-time
  • Age limit: 30 years; in the Master 35 years (exceptions are possible)

If you are studying, you will receive half of the funding as a loan and half as a grant. This means that you only have to repay half of the money after graduation. The loan is interest-free, you do not have to pay interest ("interest-free loan"). You do not start repayment until 5 years after the end of the maximum duration of the grant, which is usually the same as your standard study period. You must repay a maximum of EUR 10,010, which corresponds to 77 monthly instalments of EUR 130 each from the start of the repayment. If you do not earn enough to take out the repayment of your loan, you can apply to the Federal Administration Office for a deferral of payment.

The amount of your BAföG depends on a fixed monthly requirement. Money is deducted from this need if your parents, your partner or yourself earn comparatively much.


When you study, your monthly needs are made up of different parts:

  • Basic requirements:
    • EUR 398.00 if you are attending a technical school class for which you need completed vocational training, an evening grammar school or a college, or
    • EUR 427.00 if you complete your education at a higher technical school, academy or university (e.g. at a university).
  • Need for accommodation:
    • EUR 56.00 if you live with your parents or if you
    • EUR 325.00 if you do not live with your parents.
  • If you are unable to obtain health/care insurance through your parents, you will receive an additional EUR 84.00 or EUR 25.00.
  • If you have a child under 10 years of age who lives in your household, you will also receive a childcare supplement: EUR 150.00 for each child.

The following amounts will be credited, i.e. they will reduce your BAföG requirements:

  • The income of your parents and/or spouse/partner in the penultimate year prior to the start of the grant period if it is above the allowance. The allowance is:
    • EUR 1,890 if your parents live together,
    • EUR 1,260 per parent if your parents live separately and
    • EUR 1,260 for a possible spouse/life partner.
    • Note: If your parents or spouse/partner currently earn significantly less than in the penultimate year before the grant, you can apply for an update.
    • Parent-independent BAföG: Your parents' income is not taken into account if you
      • were in employment for 5 years after the age of 18, or
      • have completed a 3-year training course and then worked for at least 3 years.
      • In certain exceptional cases, if you are over 30 years of age at the start of your training.
  • Your own income if you earn more than EUR 450.00 per month yourself.
  • Your own assets if you own more than EUR 8,200.

Therefore, if, for example, they have a basic requirement of EUR 649.00 and

  • you do not live with your parents,
  • Your parents live separately and your father earned EUR 29,470 and EUR 21,740 gross in the penultimate year,
  • you earn EUR 400.00 per month with your part-time job and
  • have no assets,

EUR 87.11 will be deducted from your needs due to your father's income surplus and EUR 8.14 due to your mother's income surplus. Your €400 part-time job will not affect your BAföG rate. You will then receive a total of EUR 554.00 BAföG.

Note: The starting point for the income calculation is basically the sum of the positive income. In tax law, this is gross income less the

  • Advertising costs,
  • social lump sum and the
  • taxes actually paid, including church tax and solidarity surcharge.

You can receive BAföG until the end of the standard study period. Only in exceptional cases can your BAföG be renewed thereafter, for example, if you

  • have not passed the final examination,
  • have a disability,
  • are or have been pregnant,
  • have raised a child up to 14 years of age,
  • are or have been active in student self-government, higher education bodies or bodies, the Studentenwerk or the student self-government, or
  • have cared for close relatives.

If you drop out of your studies and start another course ("change of course"), your new course can only be supported if

  • the change took place at the latest in the second semester of the trade semester, or
  • the change took place in the 3rd semester and there is an important reason for the change, or
  • the change follows from the 4th semester and there was an unwavetable reason for the change, for example:
  • a disability occurring after the start of the training, or
  • an allergy to certain substances which makes it impossible to continue training or pursue the profession pursued up to now.

Studying abroad

If you are completing a semester or year abroad, you can apply for supplements to travel expenses, tuition fees and health insurance abroad.

Shorter stays are also eligible for study abroad and purchasing power compensation is also granted for stays abroad outside the EU/Switzerland. For example, if you are studying at a university in Germany, do not live with your parents, but are insured through them, and do not have a child of your own, your need is EUR 752.00 (basic requirement of EUR 427.00 plus EUR 325.00 need for accommodation).


With BAföG, only internships that you complete can be promoted while you are in an apprenticeship that is eligible under the BAföG.

Only compulsory traineeships are eligible. These are internships that prescribe your study regulations or the training plan, which you must do in order to complete or complete your studies or training. Compulsory traineeships completed abroad are only eligible if they last at least 12 weeks. Compulsory traineeships within the EU Member States are supported regardless of a minimum length of stay.

You can also get BAföG if you complete your entire studies abroad in the EU.

You can receive financial support for your studies or internship if your parents earn comparatively little or if you have already worked independently of your parents. This support is called BAföG.

If you would like to apply for BAföG online for your studies or schooling,

  • Activate either the online IDENTIFICATION function of your identity card (eID) or open an de-mail account. You need to register for both.
  • The procedure depends on the state in which you are completing your studies.

If you wish to submit the application in paper form,

  • go to the BAföG website and download the application forms that concern you. Alternatively, you can also pick up the applications from your student union.
  • If you do not know which forms you are concerned with, you can use the application assistant on the BAföG website: you will answer some questions and the assistant will tell you which forms you will have to submit.
  • You can fill in and print the forms on the computer, or print them out and fill them in handwriting. The application must be signed.
  • Add the necessary evidence.
  • Send the completed application forms directly to the training promotion office responsible for you.
  • The Office for the Promotion of Training checks the documents for completeness. In the absence of documents, they are requested. If the application is complete, it shall be examined and the decision notified by decision.

The Student Union or the promotion department of the university where you are enrolled.


You can receive BAföG if

  • you are attending a university, an academy or a higher technical school. If it is a private training centre, it must be recognised by the State.
  • you are studying full-time,
  • either
    • are German or German or
    • coming from abroad and e.B.:
      • have a right of permanent residence or a residence permit,
      • Union citizens and, as workers or self-employed persons, are entitled to freedom of movement under EU law or, as a child or spouse of such a Union citizen, are themselves entitled to freedom of movement;
      • have a prospect of staying in Germany, for example a residence permit for family, humanitarian or political reasons, or
      • have been in Germany for 5 years or more before starting the training and have worked during this time.
  • you are younger than at the beginning of your studies
    • 30 years (Bachelor's degree) or
    • 35 years (Master's degree)
    • Exceptions:
      • You have obtained the university entrance qualification through the 2nd educational pathway,
      • You have enrolled at a university solely on the basis of your professional qualifications,
      • They were prevented from starting the training period on time (and did not work more than 30 hours per week) for personal or family reasons, in particular because of the continuous education of a child under the age of 14.
      • They have become in need because of drastic changes in personal circumstances. Therefore, you could not complete a training eligible for the BAföG in a vocational qualification.


  • You will receive BAföG for your studies and traineeship if this is required by the training regulations and lasts at least 12 weeks for internships abroad. No minimum length of stay is required for stays abroad within the EU.

Note: As the legislation is very complex, you should contact your competent office for the promotion of training at an early stage.

  • Certificate of enrolment with the imprint "according to Section 9 BAföG" in the original or certificate of the training centre
  • Copy of the
    • Id
    • Passports or
    • current residence permit
  • If you don't live with your parents: Copy
    • of the rental agreement or
    • of the registration certificate
  • If you are not covered by family insurance: proof of health and care insurance with legal basis and contribution amount
  • Where applicable, proof of own income during the authorisation period, for example:
    • payroll, ancillary job, work contract,
    • Orphan's pension notice,
    • Scholarship notice or
    • Riester Pension Certificate
  • Proof of assets or debts on the date of application, such as bank statement
  • If you have a car:
    • estimation of value, such as printout from a website with a comparable offer, and
    • Motor vehicle registration certificate.
  • From the 5th semester: Proof of achievement from your university

Note: Depending on the case, additional documentation may be required. Please follow the instructions in the application forms. The BAföG office responsible for you will request missing documents.

None, but BAföG will only be approved from the start of training, but at the earliest from the month in which you apply. If you submit your application as completely as possible, your application can usually be decided quickly.

Up to 10 weeks if the complete documents are available (if no final decision can be taken during this period, the offices are legally obliged to pay subject to reservation).

Forms: yes

Online procedure possible: yes, with eID or de-mail

Written form required: yes

Personal appearance necessary: no

Online application

The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

Federal Ministry of Education and Research

No authority found